new petrol price war

Reaction score
Asda has announced it is dropping it's unleaded petrol prices to its lowest price since the beginning of 2006. It will now sell unleaded @ 87.9p per litre and diesel @ 92.9p per litre. Sainsbury's, Morrisons & Tesco's are likely to follow this trend.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good news :D I half expected to find a crunchers link in the thread and find the price decrease a joke :lol:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Good news :D I half expected to find a crunchers link in the thread and find the price decrease a joke

I would of brained him if he had...:D

Reaction score
Sainsburys is 87.9 here

what gets me is why they dont just say 88p a litre... what the hell is the .9 for!?

Reaction score
Marketing, Chris... Psychologically it looks less than 88p - So people think it's cheaper.
and... mathematically, it is! ;)
This is a hugely proven selling strategy - hence things are always 99p instead of £1
People register the pence and don't think in pounds so it appears to be a bargain!

Additionally with petrol (and some other commodities); the profit margin is MASSIVE from increasing something by .1, .2p or .5p

I know you weren't serious about your question - but you posted it ;)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Good news :D I half expected to find a crunchers link in the thread and find the price decrease a joke
laughingsmiley.gif
I had a day being sensible yesterday:(

Reaction score
I figured it was psycological... but i'd rather pay 87p than 87.9p per litre... not that it really matters... that equates to a saving of 60p for a tank of petrol lol.

I love it how people go out of their way to a petrol station selling at 1p cheaper... even with an average tank size of probably between 50 and 70 litres - you would not even save a pound, and probs spend more driving out of the way

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah I no what your saying Chris but its the principal of the thing....If people didn't do it then the multinationals would charge what they like just keeps them on there toes thats all...;)

Ask a Question