Disney purchase LucasFilm - Star Wars Episode 7 2015

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is this good? I honestly dont know.... It could be amazing, or it could be terrible...!

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/blog/disney-acquire-lucasfilm

Disney is buying Lucasfilm, the company behind the Star Wars films, from its chairman and founder George Lucas for $4.05bn (£2.5bn).

Mr Lucas said: "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of film-makers."

In a statement announcing the purchase, Disney said it planned to release a new Star Wars film, episode seven, in 2015.

That will be followed by episodes eight and nine and then one new movie every two or three years, the company said.

The last Star Wars film was 2005's Revenge of the Sith, and Disney said it believed there was "substantial pent-up demand".

Disney will pay about half in cash and half in stock, issuing 40 million Disney shares in the transaction.

The deal follows Disney's acquisitions of Pixar studios for $7.4bn in 2006 and Marvel comics for $4.2bn in 2009.

"Our valuation of Lucasfilm is roughly comparable to the value we placed on Marvel when we announced that acquisition in 2009,"

Disney said, adding that the valuation was almost entirely driven by the Star Wars franchise.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm... not sure what I think of this one. Where could they take the story now :confused:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings too - it will be interesting to see what Disney does with it...

Sounds like they want subsequent films to be similar to the James Bond format - ie each film is a complete story and whilst there are some of the same characters there is no big overarching story line. I may well be wrong though, but if they are looking to bring out a film every 2-3 years then it doesn't sound like they have a fixed story in mind.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Six episodes of Star wars was quite enough. Milking it to death will kill the magic. In fact there are those who would say the first three films released was quite enough but I quite enjoyed epsiodes 1 - 3.

Can't wait to see Donald Duck piloting a Star Fighter ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
http://collider.com/george-lucas-lucasfilm-sale-charity/207790/

You know that Disney just bought Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion and all the star wars that come with it. George Lucas was the sole owner of Lucasfilm, and so all 4.05 billion dollars go to him. Lucas has spent the last four decades minting money with the Star Wars franchise, and so thankfully can afford to be generous. A Lucasfilm spokesperson tells THR that Lucas plans to “donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavors.”

Good on him. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Aw, gotta love George :thumb:

george-lucas-disney.jpg

Ask a Question