New PC: Can't access Secure Websites IE 6.0

Chirs

Help!

I got a new laptop and cannot access any secure websites!

I have ensured that SSL 2.0 and 3.0 are active. I have
made sure that cookies are accepted. I have made sure that
I have 128 bit encryption. I have created a new profile.
I have emptied temporary internet files and cookies. What
else can I do? ANY help is greatly appreciated!

Chris
(e-mail address removed)

David

It may not be just a new PC. I have a very similar problem
on a 4 year old system. I have tried all that you have as
well as several other things and am at a loss.
I cannot access Americanexpress.com for instance as well
as other secure sites. I can,however, get into several
others. If I come up with and answer I will let you know
and if you get one, please post it.
Thanks, David

Yeah, I've already tried the suggestions on that
website...to no avail. This is a pain in the A**!

Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org
- - - - - - - - -
Chirs said:
Help!

I got a new laptop and cannot access any secure websites!

I have ensured that SSL 2.0 and 3.0 are active. I have
made sure that cookies are accepted. I have made sure that
I have 128 bit encryption. I have created a new profile.
I have emptied temporary internet files and cookies. What
else can I do? ANY help is greatly appreciated!

Chris

.

David Dean

Hello, I just installed SBC DSL and now I can not get to
secure sites (IE. Amazon accounts).... I could before I
installed DSL, not sure if DSL install upgraded my
Explorer version or not but now I'm having the same issues
with you. I'm watching with great interest to see if this
an Explorer 6.0 issue.

Yes, I've seen this site and tried both of the suggestions
listed there.....1) Create a new profile and 2)Ensure that
you have 128 bit encryption.....both have been done
without resolution of the problem.

Chris

DVarnau

Have you tried the basics?
Delete the History folder.
Delete the TIF folder. http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
Delete cookies from the affected site.
Disable other programs which might be causing the problem such as
ad-blockers, cookie-blockers, firewall, internet security, internet filter
component of an AV program, etc.
From IE> Tools> Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third party browser
extensions."
Check the HOSTS file.
Check for adware, spyware, parasites, etc.
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Are your security settings too restrictive?

Don

David

Found Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 303807 this AM at
work. I'm having the same issues as you are. Not sure if
this will work, but it's the first thing I've found
regarding this problem.

PA Bear

Troubleshoot Secure Sites
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444

Check your system for "hijackware".

Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm#tshoot
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

HijackThis (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip) is the
preferred tool to use these days. It will help to both identify and remove
any hijackware/spyware. **Post your files to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/, not here.**

Also update your virus definitions and then run a full system scan. From
now on, do both daily.

[The above also posted in reply to your original post, David.]
--
HTH...Please post back to this thread

~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP