New Mobo & CPU won't post

Ian Halbert

I have built a brand new system with an Abit AV8 pro motherboard and an
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice skt 939 and it will not post.
I have tried everything including different ram and vga cards etc. also
clearing the cmos.
There are no other items connected and it still does the same. I get
the guru code 9.0 on the motherboard display which is where the bios
should take over and then it starts a two tone beeping sound like a
siren! I have no way of testing the cpu on another board. :(
I think the PSU should be big enough. Could it be the Bios? HELP!!

Abit AV8 Pro mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice cpu (Retail)
400W PSU

Ian

Robbie McFerren

That sounds like an overheat alarm, also 400 cheap Chinese watts are
more like 200 watts. I prefer Thermaltake power supplies myself.

Dave

Ian Halbert said:
I have built a brand new system with an Abit AV8 pro motherboard and an
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice skt 939 and it will not post.
I have tried everything including different ram and vga cards etc. also
clearing the cmos.
There are no other items connected and it still does the same. I get
the guru code 9.0 on the motherboard display which is where the bios
should take over and then it starts a two tone beeping sound like a
siren! I have no way of testing the cpu on another board. :(
I think the PSU should be big enough. Could it be the Bios? HELP!!

Abit AV8 Pro mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice cpu (Retail)
400W PSU

Ian

Hate to say it, but the only motherboards I've encountered with a two-tone
beeping sound had to be replaced. I strongly suspect your AV8 is
ective. -Dave

BobR

Dave wrote in message ...
"Ian Halbert" wrote in message...
I have built a brand new system with an Abit AV8 pro motherboard and an
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice skt 939 and it will not post. [snip].
There are no other items connected and it still does the same. I get
the guru code 9.0 on the motherboard display which is where the bios
should take over and then it starts a two tone beeping sound like a
siren! I have no way of testing the cpu on another board. :(
I think the PSU should be big enough. Could it be the Bios? HELP!!
Abit AV8 Pro mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice cpu (Retail)
400W PSU
Ian

Hate to say it, but the only motherboards I've encountered with a two-tone
beeping sound had to be replaced. I strongly suspect your AV8 is
ective. -Dave

Abit two-tone boogie == HOT!!!
My SR7-8x did it anytime I put a load on it. Cleaned the heat-sink/fans,
thermal compound(had none!), put in a HD rack (with front&back fans), added
round IDE cables yesterday. Now it's running 10C cooler(case 40C, CPU 44C (P4
2.4Ghz)(light load)).

That give you a clue, Ian. Does the CPU heat-sink fan spin when power is
applied?
Is heat-sink properly mounted, with thermal compound(or pad, or something)?

Hal

Thx,
Yes the fan runs normally, and I've applied new thermal paste etc I've tried
everything including different RAM and even zero RAM all failed still got
the same prob seems to point to a cpu overheat.

Hal wrote in message
Thx,
Yes the fan runs normally, and I've applied new thermal paste etc I've tried
everything including different RAM and even zero RAM all failed still got
the same prob seems to point to a cpu overheat.

Did you try reseting the BIOS?[1] (sorry if I'm suggesting things you've
already done). It may be in an overclock situation for that CPU (catch 22
since you can't get into the BIOS program to look!!).

I assume you've already double checked ALL connections, made sure nothing is
shorting-out the MB, power supply is not set to 220v on an 115v wall socket
(<G>), pin one on CPU is matched to pin one on socket(yeah, pickin' at straws
now), etc..

Visited the Abit and Athlon sites to see if there are any bulletins on a
problem?

[1] - my Abit has a jumper, set it for 10 seconds (power off!!!) and was back
at square one (I had pushed my memory RAS/CAS toooo far, and ended up about
where you are now.).

Hal

BobR said:
BobR wrote in message ...

Sorry, meant CMOS, Duh!
Thnx
tried resetting cmos loads of times, I've never managed to get the cpu to
post and it's all brand new parts, so no way i could overclock it.

Chris Hill

Thnx
tried resetting cmos loads of times, I've never managed to get the cpu to
post and it's all brand new parts, so no way i could overclock it.

Sounds like bad board or garbage power supply. I'll guess the latter.

BobR

Hal wrote in message ...
Thnx
tried resetting cmos loads of times, I've never managed to get the cpu to
post and it's all brand new parts, so no way i could overclock it.

I wasn't thinking 'you overclocked it', just that somehow it got set that
way. Clearing the CMOS should eliminate that possibility.

At this point I'd contact Abit tech support. It's possible the CPU chip got
fried (static electricity can destroy, maybe before you got it.). Without
testing equipment, the only thing you can do is swap parts until you get a
different reaction. Did you get the CPU separately? Some companies will let
you swap (Fry's did that for me with a 'questionable' memory module).

I feel your pain!

Hal

BobR said:
Hal wrote in message ...

I wasn't thinking 'you overclocked it', just that somehow it got set that
way. Clearing the CMOS should eliminate that possibility.

At this point I'd contact Abit tech support. It's possible the CPU chip
got
fried (static electricity can destroy, maybe before you got it.). Without
testing equipment, the only thing you can do is swap parts until you get a
different reaction. Did you get the CPU separately? Some companies will
let
you swap (Fry's did that for me with a 'questionable' memory module).

I feel your pain!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Got a new mobo locally now running smoothly :} The Abit board is going back!
Thanx

BobR

Hal wrote in message
PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Got a new mobo locally now running smoothly :} The Abit board is going back!
Thanx

Great, good news. What a pain, eh? I'll bet Abit would have replaced it, but,
that would leave you 'without' for weeks. Did you get another Abit or some
other brand?

Hal

BobR said:
Hal wrote in message

Great, good news. What a pain, eh? I'll bet Abit would have replaced it,
but,
that would leave you 'without' for weeks. Did you get another Abit or some
other brand?
Cheers,
Got an AS Rock Dual, locally and it's fine. Sending the Abit back to EBuyer
D.O.A.