New Mobile Wanted

Reaction score
OK my current mobile is a Nokia 6300 which is 3.5 years old on PAYG with o2!
I'm after a modern phone and on a monthly contract of £25 to £30 per month with o2?
Prefer o2 as they provide coverage in all the areas i use including the west country.

Need a phone that will let me check emails and some surfing.

Now dont be to techie with me as i have no idea on what to go for, hence asking for help.
Had thought of a Blackberry Torch but the buttons seem small for my pinkies to use.

Thanks in advance people.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What do you like? Personally i cant stand Nokia's anymore, the Symbian OS is awful...

Blackberry? Forget the torch, that will be too much for you tbh.
Android handset of some kind? Desire?

Reaction score
I just bought my first smart phone about 2 weeks ago, did a lot of research and finally settled on the HTC Legend. I absolutely love it.

You'll be able to do your emails, reception is good, loving the android os etc.

Reaction score
Well in the past i've had candy bar, flip & slide mobiles & not sure really what to go for now.
Hence seeing what others suggest or have tried & do like the sound of the android os.

What phones do others have & can you use them to get emails and surf the net with?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 at the mo, jailbroken of course. :p

Before that i had a Google Nexus One, HTC Magic, HTC Hero, Nokia N97, 5800 etc etc.

The N1, Magic and Hero were all Android, and the N1 was rooted and running a Cyanogen custom ROM, as was the Magic.

iOS (once JB'ed) and Android are great for being customizable.

You can get web and mail on *almost* any phone now, just some do it better than others. ;)

Sugest you pop into any local phone shop and have a play. Done have to buy there and then.

Some links for ya...

http://www.gsmarena.com/

http://www.mobilefonereviews.co.uk/

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/

Reaction score
Cheers for the links V_R.:thumb:
Really need to get the time as you say to go and have a look, may do that tomorrow.
Then i can work out from their what i like and what price etc.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thinking about changing myself as my four year old Samsung is looking decidedly prehistoric these days - but it does do what I want it to do - make and receive telephone calls.

Not sure if I really want online facilities on the move, I quite like getting away from that when I step outside the front door.

However, I noticed a Blackberry going on a contract with T-Mobile for just £15.00 a month, that's what I pay atm for a monthly deal Sim Card only with Virgin. Ok, probably a 24 month contract and I'm on a 1 month contract atm but I tend to keep a phone for at least two years anyway.

What's the choice then? Apple; Google; Blackberry; HFC? Is that about it?

If so I will not entertain Apple so that leaves a choice of three I suppose.

And I'm not a great one for latest gadgets, no style kiddie, me.

Just seems to pay the same price I'm paying now for a new fancy phone might be a good idea.

I currently get 500 minutes and unlimited texts I didn't notice what T-Mobile were offering with the Blackberry deal but I do need at least 300 minutes a month, not worried about texts, only send about a dozen a month anyway.

I've used 02 - good; Virgin - good; Orange - the absolute pits, atrocious and useless conniving shysters and Carphone Warehouse - even worse than Orange, shameless thieves.

Not wishing to crap on your thread Mr Feckit, just joining in and thinking out loud :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Flops, From reading that i think you'd be happy with a basic 'no frills' Blackberry, if you decide to upgrade. Functional, not overly complicated or bogged down with extras and a decent battery life. Can have your emails pushed to the phone if you wish, which is a nice thing to have if your out and about IMO. Since my GF got a new phone, i can email her all the time rather than text her. :)

Personally i'm a Vodafone fan, been with then for years, always good signal and always good 3G coverage and speeds.

Also you know T-Mobile and Orange share networks now, so they should be better than they used to. that said, i'd still stick with Voda or maybe O2. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I hear you V_R and I think you're probably right, I will check out The Blackberry.

Me not wanting an I-Phone is not some kind of poncey stance, me daughter's got one, I've played with it, just doesn't appeal to me.

Orange treated both me and my daughter dreadfully, absolute crooks and carphone warehouse were even worse. I'm not at all familiar with either T-Mobile or Vodaphone.

Except me mate used Vodaphone for 12 years and he had the most awful contract, it was still twelve years old. We all cajoled him to do something about it and now he's happy as Larry.

He got an Apple phone and a good package from Vodaphone.

But Vodaphone didn't tell him, not once, that he was paying through the nose for his twelve year old deal. But I don't suppose they would, would they? They were making money out of the naive idiot.

Ask a Question