New kid in town...HELLLLLP...

Reaction score
I know computers - OFFLINE. But online I'm just learning: Joke.Programs, Adware, Fake Alerts (had THAT one) and Trojans. Whew. Try to find a place that will explain to a dummy like me what they are, how they do it, why they do it, etc.:blush: I got Cyberjacked one night, in a place I 'spose I shouldn't a been, BUT ANYWAY, server started looking different, things were acting weird, "YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED - CLICK HERE FOR HELP..." or something like that. Like a dodo I went for it, but only for a moment, site just didn't look right so I got out, went an bought and downloaded eAcceleration and Xoftspy. Are these reputable? Should I have gone with McAfee or Norton? I'd rather uninstall these be out a little dough and get something good than take anymore risks. Opinions are varied so I'm trying to get a general consensus. What-the-f___-ever...I need some advice... Thanks

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hi Gerry and Welcome to PC Review
happywave.gif

Firstly eAcceleration and Xoftspy have a dubious past for creating false positives and false alerts to encourage users to pay for the download and in some places certainly were considered spyware/malware in there own right.

It would appear that in the case of eAcceleration anyway that they have gone to lengths to legitimise, however there are many free products out there that will do the job instead.

Your first line of defence is a good Antivirus Suite and Firewall - one of the best free AV's is AntiVir and Zone Alarm for a firewall, for a good paid for All-in-One suite go for Kaspersky Internet security.

Once you've done that, download and run the following free anti-spyware utilities, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, SpwareBlaster, Windows Defender - all available via Spywarepoint.

Good luck :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Hi Gerry and Welcome to PC Review
happywave.gif

Firstly eAcceleration and Xoftspy have a dubious past for creating false positives and false alerts to encourage users to pay for the download and in some places certainly were considered spyware/malware in there own right.

It would appear that in the case of eAcceleration anyway that they have gone to lengths to legitimise, however there are many free products out there that will do the job instead.

Your first line of defence is a good Antivirus Suite and Firewall - one of the best free AV's is AntiVir and Zone Alarm for a firewall, for a good paid for All-in-One suite go for Kaspersky Internet security.

Once you've done that, download and run the following free anti-spyware utilities, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, SpwareBlaster, Windows Defender - all available via Spywarepoint.

Good luck :thumb:
Save myself some typing, what he said ... and may I also welcome you to our humble abode.

Can I add one more to the list and sugest also you seek out SiteAdvisor ... McCrapee bought them out, but it's still a usefull addition.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
No more Special K...

I took your advice and paid and downloaded Kaspersky:( and I will regret it for the rest of my computer's life and beyond.
First of all, I couldn't get online.:confused: Took hours to figure out it had removed my IP Address. Tried unsuccessfully to put it back in. Wouldn't let me. I spent the entire day (my day off, I might add) and hours of trying and hours of talking to my internet provider, who, in frustration told me to contact the computer maker cuz they couldn't figure out WHAT was wrong.
Entire day.
Morning to early evening when I FINALLY, after HOURS of working on it, got it disabled (it wouldn't even let me do THAT at first) and UNINSTALLED IT.
I was immediately back online. But my desktop had changed radically.
Icons were huge. Wallpaper had changed. I put all that back but now some of my Microsoft programs won't work. What a _____ mess.
After I uninstalled it, a screen popped up from Kaspersky asking,

"Why did you uninstall us?"

So I told 'em.
Also told 'em I want my $ back. But of course it ain't them that's can do THAT. It's Digi-widgi-puddin'&tain money masters deluxe I have to go thru.
wallbash.gif

I'm still trying to repair my computer. Being a basic novice in that area doesn't help. But I'll get it. Oh, I'll get it.

So...any expert opinions on what the heck happened? Ever hear of anything like that? I'm a-waitin' here with BAITED BREATH...
wallbash.gif
(can ya smell it? my breath, i meen?)

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
So...any expert opinions on what the heck happened? Ever hear of anything like that? I'm a-waitin' here with BAITED BREATH.
hello baited breath ... Yep, sh1t like that happens every day ...

Did you un-install your preset AV & Firewall before instaling KAV
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5233

Did you seek advice @ http://forum.kaspersky.com/
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=915

Unfortunately for your side of the pond you do not get a chance to use the phone ... we here can call 'em direct ... +1 800 803 2152 (or +7 495 363 4207) and we even get UK support from 08700 113 461 :D

I have no problems running KAV on my PC

user.gif

Reaction score
Dad-nab-it!

Yeah, I disengaged everything just like it said to. Oh well. Stuff happens, like ya said. Well, not EXACTLY like you said.

At least I'm back on and can visit here and post pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge, eh? ;)

It's late here in yankee-land. Thinks I'll turn in. Thanks Muck for answering the thread. I thought everybody on the 'lil island was asleep, I did. Then I press the LON button on my fancy-schmancy clock with all the time zones and...
Holy Jehosephat! It's 9 in the morning there. More later folks.

(by the way, muck, is it gren-itch or green-witch? and why does your time have to be so mean?)
:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
(by the way, muck, is it gren-itch or green-witch? and why does your time have to be so mean?)
:D It is Greenwich, pronounced Gren-itch ... Mean (or Meridian) Time is the mean (average) time that the earth takes to rotate from noon-to-noon ... that's English (UK, not US) for you ... ;)

user.gif

Reaction score
Sheesh all-day and still not right?:( Would have been quicker to format/reinstall and start again, even a novice could have done that,
nod.gif
there is plenty of help here on that subject,
when I started PCing it would take me some 6/15 Hrs now 2Hrs max
user.gif
Dont open anything unless you know what it is and even then scan with AV;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud.......

If there was a trojan/worm/virus present and Kaspersky was doing battle with it, that could have caused those problems.

But most likely is failure to remove current AV software before installing new. AV proggies clash, you see.

Greenwich is groovy, mostly cos I live there :)

Mostly, we get lots of American, Japanese and a few German tourists.

I think the Germans are trying to spot the bits their old man missed during the Blitzkrieg :)

Now mr flops you know that last bit was bang out of order, slap on the wrist for you...

Reaction score
Whoa...

Hi folks,

Alright, alright, I'll go visit the GWMT link, ok?:bow:

Sheesh, one little joke and you guys want to go to war again.:p Don't forget what happened last time... and didn't we give you a hand with the Krauts? (Mmmmm. Is that a derogatory term? Don't mean it like that)

HEY - I joined the World Community Grid. I don't exactly understand how it works, but I'm always in for a good cause. I just hope it's not the CIA watching me go to thoses weird sites.:lol:

So I've been busy working and taking care of bid-ness. That's why I haven't been on. I've got two days off and I'll be around.

Thanks to all again for the warm welcome.:wave:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Nice one

Greetings to you Gerry Blake and warm wishes from me from deepest Staffordshire. Crunching at WCG is the way forward. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Gerry Blake said:
HEY - I joined the World Community Grid. I don't exactly understand how it works

Nice one... but your not showing up in the team, i am guessing you wanted to crunch with us!? :D

Click on this link and click on the 'join now' button near the top. You should then join TPCRCII! :thumb:

user.gif

Reaction score
On The TEAM!

Alrighty then... I'm on the team.:thumb:

But my agent is always "paused".:confused: How do I get it working?:blush:

I tried a couple of suggestions from WCG but it's still paused.:wall:

Glad to be part of the Team!:user:

Crusader

Is there any way to change from Gerry Blake to Crusader, my nickname?

Ask a Question