New HD and OS transfer failure

G

I'm trying to replace 2 smaller hard drives with a new larger one, using Maxtor's Maxblast 3 software, and everytime I use it to copy the boot partition from old hd to new and try rebooting with new, I get a different symptom but no boot. (I'm using the dos/boot CD version of Maxblast because the Windows version errors on a dll!). First time I got an xp logoed blue screen like the user login, but no user icons & just hangs there. Second time I copied the files, I got my old Win ME opening screen (I upgraded) and ME errors out saying it's missing ifs something .hlp (as I recall).

I can boot ok with the old drives, and see the files on the new drive when it's installed as the secondary master. I'm new to XP, but does anyone think I will have luck in doing a cmd prompt file copy from old to new drives, or are there XP boot files that won't get copied that way?

A

Alvin Brown

Hello

Some good advice would be to just reload XP on the new
drive and then connect your other drives as slaves and copy
your data over. It's alonger process but really the best
way to go about doing it

alvin

J

JURDA

make sure that your HD are all maxtor's products.
Maxtor's Maxblast 3 software maybe cannot work well with
other company's HD , And just copy files of XP cannot make
XP boots correctly. You should reinstall it.

best wishs

G

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. I guess I knew that a clean install would be better, just trying to take the easy/quick way out as usual. I think I will take the clean install advice.

Ask a Question