Networking XP Home with XP Professional

G

I have created a workgroup as instructed by the Network Wizard. I have connected a DSL modem to an Ethernet Hub and then into a Linksys Workgroup Switch. Now the computer running XP Home can see the computer using XP Pro (all the shared folders as well as the C: drive which has been shared). I was able to establish the network printer as well. However, the computer running XP Pro cannot see the computer running XP Home. I receive the infamous message "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administator of this server to findout if you have access permissions. The network path was not found." It knows the workgroup exists but will not allow access to it. I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on both computers. Neither computer has a log name or password as we are the only users of each of the computers. I have also tried removing the workgroups and setting up the network on the computer using XP Home first and the other way around. Still only the computer using XP Home can see the other using XP Pro but not the other way around.
Any suggestions, anyone?!

G

Have you checked that you can ping both pc's
Have you checked that the firewall is off

H

Hans-Georg Michna

M Kodounis said:
I have created a workgroup as instructed by the Network Wizard. I have connected a DSL modem to an Ethernet Hub and then into a Linksys Workgroup Switch. Now the computer running XP Home can see the computer using XP Pro (all the shared folders as well as the C: drive which has been shared). I was able to establish the network printer as well. However, the computer running XP Pro cannot see the computer running XP Home. I receive the infamous message "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administator of this server to findout if you have access permissions. The network path was not found." It knows the workgroup exists but will not allow access to it. I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on both computers. Neither computer has a log name or password as we are the only users of each of the computers. I have also tried removing the workgroups and setting up the network on the computer using XP Home first and the
other way around. Still only the computer using XP Home can see the other using XP Pro but not the other way around.

Please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.

Hans-Georg

Ask a Question