Networking and Sharing files on a home network

Docster

I have for some what will be a basic question, but for me a perplexing
question.
I have a home net work. Main computer attached to router/modem and one other
via wireless with an antenna equipped antenna.
I have selected to share some files on the main computer and some on the
second computer.
The files I share on the main computer I can see and access on the second
computer.
The files I opened to sharing on the second computer do not register on the
main computer.
The computer name is there but when I click to view files I get a message
which stays I do not have permission to use the resource.
I am the administrator on both computers and don't recall setting up for
administrator only.
I have scoured every setting and can't find a setting to set up in a way
that would cause this kind of answer.
The main computer has WinXP SP3 installed from a slip streamed disk.
The second computer has WinXP SP3 install via installing SP3 separately from
a Microsoft disk.
The Sharing election panel is different on both machines, i.e. the way they
are laid out.
I feel it is something simple I am overlooking, otherwise why would the
second computer show up on the main computer.
Would appreciate any suggestions regarding what I should be looking for.

John John - MVP

[...]

Are the computer XP Pro or XP Home? Make sure that the firewall isn't
blocking access to the files.

John

Docster

Both computers are XP Pro with Sp3
Regarding firewall blocking access where I look generally for such a
setting.
Using AVG full version

[...]

I take it that the Windows firewall is disabled and that you are using
an AVG firewall? I don't use AVG so I don't know where to look for
these settings, look in the AVG help files.

John

Bert Hyman

In John John - MVP
Are the computer XP Pro or XP Home? Make sure that the firewall isn't
blocking access to the files.

Would firewall problems produce that particular error?

John Wunderlich

Are the computer XP Pro or XP Home? Make sure that the firewall
isn't blocking access to the files.

Both computers are XP Pro with Sp3
Regarding firewall blocking access where I look generally for such
a setting.
Using AVG full version

Given XP Pro, one more question:
Is "Simple File Sharing" disabled on both machines? If it isn't, then
any incoming network connection will authenticate as "Guest" (no matter
what you provide for a username/password) and you might have the
"Guest" user inactive on a machine or not given Guest access privilege
on one machine...

"How to disable simple file sharing and how to set permissions on a
shared folder in Windows XP"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874>

HTH,
John

Docster

John, And All the others,
With suggestion of simple sharing and the link along with making sure both
machines had every other setting exactly the same I am not able to see share
files and folders on both machines.
In File Folders, View, I checked, automatically search for files and
folders, I played with simple sharing and finally got it to work by enabling
simple sharing on both machines.
In Add/Remove I went to the Windows Components and checked, Other network
file and print services and management and monitoring tools (maybe I did not
need this one, I will play with it later once I am sure of what I did).
Thanks again guys,
Docster

John Wunderlich said:
[...]

To All
Resulting from a problem trying to view files selected for sharing on one
computer at another computer.
After considerable searching, which included the help from this Newsgroup,
the problem was finally resolved by changing the following settings.
As it turns out it probably had nothing to do with Firewall settings.
A Big Thank You to all the unknown text voices and people who inspired and
helped me track down the problem and a solution

In Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\View\Advanced Settings:\Files And
Folders\.....the following lines can effect the ability to view shared
files.
Check-Automatically search for network folders and printers
Check-Use simple file sharing (Recommended)
(Have been on this page and tab hundreds of times and never noticed these
setting options)

In Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs\Add Remove Windows
Components.....the following options can effect the ability to view shared
files.
Check-Management and Monitoring Tools
Check-Networking Services
Check-Other Network File and Print Services

Depending on the Provider of your AV service you my need to review your
firewall settings. In my case, using AVG, it was smarter than I was and had
everything prepared to function properly.
Docster

In John John - MVP

Would firewall problems produce that particular error?

Yes, it could. There are many different causes but one of the first
step when troubleshooting these networking errors is to eliminate the
firewall as a possible cause. Other possible causes given here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318030

John

John Wunderlich

[...] same I am not able to see share files and folders on both
machines.

I assume you meant "... I am _now_ able to see...".
Thanks for the feedback.

-- John

Jason

i spent heaps of time on this - windows 7 crap and xp pro - the firewall
needed to be configured on the XP PC.

Tony Lance

Big Bertha Thing particle
Cosmic Ray Series
Possible Real World System Constructs
http://www.bigberthathing.com/structur.html
7K Web Page
Astrophysics net ring Access site
Newsgroup Reviews including sci.med.nutrition

Outlandish Particle Periodic Table in Structure Order.

From Pastures Software Package Documentation.
(Particle Structure Results Program, in Fortran 77.)
Sub-atomic Mesons, Baryons and Leptons Classification System.
(C) Copyright Tony Lance 1997
Distribute complete and free of charge to comply.

Big Bertha Thing repairs

If it is not broken, do not fix it.
Some parts of the project may need repairing.
If you cannot fix it, with a good suggestion,
then do not take it apart, in the first place,
with a bad one.

Tony Lance
(e-mail address removed)
From: John John - MVP <[email protected]>