network setup wizard won't establish gateway

J

Jon

I have somehow managed to successfully share internet connections in the
past. In fact, I set up my dell 400sc and laptop last night with wifi
ad-hoc (laptop dialed up) and did a windows update on both of them. Now
I've lost connection sharing. I run the network setup wizard in windows xp
and see the various network bridges created but never am able to share files
/ internet. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Here is my setup:

::(1) Desktop (dell 2400 P4 2.53MHz) -- (2) Desktop (dell 400SC P4
2.26MHz) -- (3) Laptop (compaq 2100 Celeron 2.0GHz)
::All 3 systems have a 10/100 network port (I mostly use wireless however)
and Windows XP Home
::I have dial-up and connect with the dell 2400 by modem. I have a wifi
router connected to it in port 4. router is 192.168.0.2
::dell 400sc has USB wifi, laptop has internal wifi

Seems like fresh win installs will pick up the ICS gateway sometimes but I
can't get it back now. I've turned off all anti-virus and am trying to
connect wirelessly mainly. I've tried wired between the laptop and dell
2400 to no avail as well.

Any suggestions? [pulling my hair out...]

G

I've done that hair pullin routine myself a few times, especialy when I first started to learn networking and trying to understand all the TCP this, and SMTP that, and click here, select there, etc. you get the picture so don't feel alone. I have this instruction set I use for Windows 2000 and 2003 Sever. I put in a document because every time I have to do it I forget. So I'll paste here for you. It will be essentialy the same thing you have to do yourself. Read and execute each step carefully and you'll be alright. It might seem a little wordy, but I don't leave anything out. You can ignore the references to Servers and skip to the information you need. Of course you will also have wireless connectoids. Start off by going to your TCP/IP properties and follow the instructions.

1. Make sure that client computers are set for automatic IP address and DNS. Then check advanced for DHCP enabled.

2. Make sure that Routing and Remote Access Services, DHCP Server, and DNS Server are disabled and not running on the ICS computer.

3. For cable or DSL modems, if you arranged for a static IP address, have the following handy: IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway address. Also, the address of any email or DNS servers.

4. If you are using dial up, get information above and also the number to dial into the ISP. If using ISDN then find out the SPIDs, as no two ISPs seem to do ISDN the same way.

5. See to it that the server has two NICs installed and that TCP/IP stacks get IP addresses from DHCP.

6. Attach all the computers together in a network. Have the ICS server, or computer, connected to the cable modem from Internet NIC. Connect out from the other NIC, the intranet, to a switch that the clients will also be connected to. What you have is the cable modem cable running into the servers Internet NIC, and a cable running out from the server’s local network NIC to a switch hub. The other local computers then will be attached to that switch hub to get the sharing from the server. If you are sharing with only one other computer then you may use a crossover cable and go from the server local network NIC directly to the NIC on the client computer without a switch hub involved.

7. You now have two connections on the ICS computer. One to the local Ethernet connecting the internal nonroutable machines, and one to the Internet.

8. Connecting using dial up. Got to start .> control panel > network connections > New connection wizard. Server will start a new wizard; click next. Click connect to the internet (see page 265 in the book Windows Server 2003 by Minasi) then next; then click connect using a dial-up modem and click next and fill in a descriptive name for your ISP and click next. Fill in the number to dial for your ISP. If you are not sure, try to dial the number on the phone. As in 5034601235, and if you hear a modem sound the number is correct. Fill in the number and click next. Now Routers do not care who is connected to them and since we are building a router here, select Anyone’s Use radio button if that is offered to you and click next. Tell the system what your user name and password are for your ISP and put check marks into the “Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the internet from this computerâ€, and a check in the Make this the default Internet connection. Click next and finish and your new connectoid will open automatically. Click the Dial button to check your connectoid. Make sure you can ping IP numbers and DNS names externally. Also, ping internally.

9. Connecting using cable or DSL modem: Just have your cable connected to the server from the modem and turn the computer on. A DHCP system at the cable or DSL Company will give your PC a routable IP address. If you host services, you might want to get a static IP from your ISP. Now make sure you can surf the Internet without trouble. Do an ipconfig /all to see that your Internet NIC has routable addressing and that the internal NIC has a routable 169.254.xxx.xx address, as there is no DHCP server on your intranet.

10. Now go to the properties of your Internet connection object and select the advance tab to Allow Other Network Users to Connect through this Computer’s Internet Connection, and click OK. You might get a warning about ICS, but just click OK. Go back to your Network connections window and you can see your Internet connection has a status of “shared†and “enabledâ€.

11. Now that ICS is configured, go to all the client PCs and make sure there connections are set for automatic TCP/IP and DNS and DHCP enabled. All automatic. Now restart each machine. Restart the server first though. The ICS server machine Internet NIC will have all automatic features and “DHCP enabled†that you can see by selecting the advanced button. If you check the intranet NIC, it should have a static IP address of 192.168.0.1, and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. No default gateway needed, and the radio button for Use the following DNS server address is selected, but no preferred or alternate DNS servers are entered. After the client systems restart they will have a 192.168.0.xx IP address, no longer a 169.254.xx.xx routable address.

12. The ICS machine now acts as a DHCP, DNS server, dishing out addresses between 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254. The ICS has the 192.168.0.1, which the clients are routed to, so they can get out to the Internet.

J

jon

Thanks for the input Joe. I've tried all your suggestions and still
can't get it to go. I have simplified to just 2 computers now connected
wired and wireless. Each computer can only see itself. Any other
suggestions?

J

jon

I'm going to try uninstalling the NICs and follow suggestions from
practicallynetworked.com

J

jon

I finally got this to work by reinstalling WinXP home on all 3 computers
and then following MS knowledge base article on how to set up ICS
manually. The setup wizard just seemed to screw things up worse. Now I
have:

-Dell Dimension with dial-up for server & wifi router
-Dell Poweredge with wifi link
-Compaq Presario laptop with wifi link

All share perfectly. Now I need to figure out my ZoneAlarm setup.
I've done that hair pullin routine myself a few times, especialy when I first started to learn networking and trying to understand all the TCP this, and SMTP that, and click here, select there, etc. you get the picture so don't feel alone. I have this instruction set I use for Windows 2000 and 2003 Sever. I put in a document because every time I have to do it I forget. So I'll paste here for you. It will be essentialy the same thing you have to do yourself. Read and execute each step carefully and you'll be alright. It might seem a little wordy, but I don't leave anything out. You can ignore the references to Servers and skip to the information you need. Of course you will also have wireless connectoids. Start off by going to your TCP/IP properties and follow the instructions.

1. Make sure that client computers are set for automatic IP address and DNS. Then check advanced for DHCP enabled.

2. Make sure that Routing and Remote Access Services, DHCP Server, and DNS Server are disabled and not running on the ICS computer.

3. For cable or DSL modems, if you arranged for a static IP address, have the following handy: IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway address. Also, the address of any email or DNS servers.

4. If you are using dial up, get information above and also the number to dial into the ISP. If using ISDN then find out the SPIDs, as no two ISPs seem to do ISDN the same way.

5. See to it that the server has two NICs installed and that TCP/IP stacks get IP addresses from DHCP.

6. Attach all the computers together in a network. Have the ICS server, or computer, connected to the cable modem from Internet NIC. Connect out from the other NIC, the intranet, to a switch that the clients will also be connected to. What you have is the cable modem cable running into the servers Internet NIC, and a cable running out from the server’s local network NIC to a switch hub. The other local computers then will be attached to that switch hub to get the sharing from the server. If you are sharing with only one other computer then you may use a crossover cable and go from the server local network NIC directly to the NIC on the client computer without a switch hub involved.

7. You now have two connections on the ICS computer. One to the local Ethernet connecting the internal nonroutable machines, and one to the Internet.

8. Connecting using dial up. Got to start .> control panel > network connections > New connection wizard. Server will start a new wizard; click next. Click connect to the internet (see page 265 in the book Windows Server 2003 by Minasi) then next; then click connect using a dial-up modem and click next and fill in a descriptive name for your ISP and click next. Fill in the number to dial for your ISP. If you are not sure, try to dial the number on the phone. As in 5034601235, and if you hear a modem sound the number is correct. Fill in the number and click next. Now Routers do not care who is connected to them and since we are building a router here, select Anyone’s Use radio button if that is offered to you and click next. Tell the system what your user name and password are for your ISP and put check marks into the “Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the internet from this computerâ€, and a check in the Make this the default Internet
connection. Click next and finish and your new connectoid will open automatically. Click the Dial button to check your connectoid. Make sure you can ping IP numbers and DNS names externally. Also, ping internally.

G

Jo

Don't know if this will help but! your problem sounds similiar to mine

My connection from the remote is fine until I turn off the computer. When I turn it back on the connection ( wireless) will not connect. I have o several occassions gone into the Broadband utility and for whatever reason the connection restablishes itself. I don't do anything but access the utility. I can't figure it out??? BUT it always recoonects after I go into the Broadband Utility

Ask a Question