Network drive lost

Tim Brown

We have a user who is experiencing an issue where her network drive appear
as 'Disonnected network drive' yet she is able to access the drive. This is
not the normal 15 min drop out with the red x marked against the drive. We
use DFS mapped drives from a login script in group policy. This is only
affecting this one user. Any ideas?

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that when you try to access a shared folder on a mapped drive,
the drive may appear in Microsoft Windows Explorer with a red 'X'. Although
the mapped drive appears to be disconnected, you can access the contents of
it.

First please make sure if you have updated Windows XP to the latest
version.(Windows XP SP2) I suggest you review the following article:

330519 Red 'X' appears on Home folder mapped drive in Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;330519

297684 Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;297684

If the issue persists, let's perform the following test

1. Please mapped a drive to another Windows XP. Can the issue be reproduced?
2. Please grant admin privilege to the problematic user and check the
issue.

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support