Network Connections & My Network Places

H

Howard Woodard

I have a Cisco 678 router/dsl modem connected to a Linksys switch -- part of my home wireless network. I've been using it for about a year. The network is set up to allow all of the computers to access the internet via a hub (the Linksys switch). The switch has always shown up when I look at "My Network Places" and the internet connection shows up in "View Network Connections".

After installing some applications and then updating from Windows Update, neither of theses show up anymore. Everything -- network printer, file shares, etc. -- still works just fine. I've tried re-running the network setup wizard a couple of times but that hasn't caused them to reappear. I shut everything down and then restarted it all but that didn't change anything either. Again, as I said, everything still works just fine -- I just don't see the switch and the internet connection anymore.

Any idea why they quit appearing and what I need to do to get them to appear again.

Thanks in advance,

Howard

S

Squire

An alternative is to do a System Restore, using a date prior to downloading the Update.

--
Jerry

Have a nice day!

I have a Cisco 678 router/dsl modem connected to a Linksys switch -- part of my home wireless network. I've been using it for about a year. The network is set up to allow all of the computers to access the internet via a hub (the Linksys switch). The switch has always shown up when I look at "My Network Places" and the internet connection shows up in "View Network Connections".

After installing some applications and then updating from Windows Update, neither of theses show up anymore. Everything -- network printer, file shares, etc. -- still works just fine. I've tried re-running the network setup wizard a couple of times but that hasn't caused them to reappear. I shut everything down and then restarted it all but that didn't change anything either. Again, as I said, everything still works just fine -- I just don't see the switch and the internet connection anymore.

Any idea why they quit appearing and what I need to do to get them to appear again.

Thanks in advance,

Howard

H

Howard Woodard

That's what got me into the soup to start with.

I found a web site that talked about a similar problem and it turns out that I needed to [re]enable UPnP.

Like magic, everything reappeared.
An alternative is to do a System Restore, using a date prior to downloading the Update.

--
Jerry

Have a nice day!

Thanks in advance,

Howard

R

Robert Norton

Make sure you have the "internet gateway device discovery and control
client" installed. Go to add/remove programs, then add/remove windows
components, double click networking services, then select the IGD
client. XP SP1 apparently made this an optional install.

Ask a Question