network browsing

jedec

Hi

Can anyone help me with network browsing problem with VPN client ?

On ethernet network are 1 domain (A) and 2 workgroups (B, C).
All computers (except servers in domain) get IP from DHCP, which is defined
in domain A. DHCP has also defined DNS and WINS options therefore all
computers register in domain A WINS.
In domain A is also VPN server which assigns DHCP addresses to VPN clients.

VPN client is computer in workgroup B (or C, same problem) and this computer
does not receive browse list (neither for its own workgroup).
VPN client can register in WINS (computername, user messenger ...)

If VPN client is in domain A, then receives browse list for all workgroups
(FW is then OK ?)

On LAN, client in workgroup B receives browse list for B,C and domain A.

It seems that FW is not a problem. Also browse list for all workgroups on
LAN are OK (checked with browstat view 1...).
I know VPN client does not broadcast through WAN but I expect for it to
receive list from WINS. However there is no 1B record for workgroups B and
C.

So question is:
Can VPN client receive browse list from WINS and how to configure WINS or
VPN client for this ?

How

jedec

Sergio Moreno

Hello,

can the clients ping the WINS server? Are the VPN clients registering in WINS?
VPN client will have to communicate with WINS over UDP port 137, so make sure that the FW allows this traffic through.
From: "jedec" <[email protected]>
Subject: network browsing

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.