net start server SP2

Larry Waibel

message about my problem. I've read the relnotes and the blog and searched
the newsgroups but I can't find an answer to my problem.

In order to not include Windows Firewall and all it's dependencies to keep my
footprint small, I started a target design with 'TCP/IP Networking with File
Sharing and Client for MS Networks'. I added 'Core Networking' and unchecked
the 'Windows Firewall/ICS'. After the dependency check I ended up with a
much smaller configuration that included Computer Browser and Service Control
Manager among other things.

But when I try to connect to the target as I did with XPe SP1, it doesn't
find the system. When I go to the system and do 'net share' it is unable to
start the service but doesn't tell me which component is missing. 'net
share' on the target doesn't show Computer Browser or Server as having
started.

I used filemon on my normal XP system when doing a 'net share' and found 3
DLLs (shimeng, msacm32, and apphelp) which weren't on the target but copying
them over still didn't help. Since the error from trying to 'net start
server' doesn't tell me which 'module could not be found' I don't know what
is missing. As I said, I have Computer Browser as a component which should
depend on server so I'm at a loss as to why neither is started. Is this a
know issue with SP2? Thanks!

Andy Allred [MS]

To partially close the loop here Larry sent an SLX to the team for us to see
if it's anything obvious or a bug.
-andy

Larry Waibel

It looks like there's a missing dependency for 'HNetcfg.dll' if Windows
Firewall isn't included. When I copy that file over I can get it to share.
The team is looking into a way to handle that file. Thanks!

From: "Andy Allred [MS]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: net start server SP2
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:23:57 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded