main applications written in VB6 to .Net. This is a big application, it
currently uses COM, COM+, ActiveX... Has anyone used these 2 before? which
of the packages would you prefer (both window and web components)? Any
suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sam

M

Marc Greiner

None of those two : DevExpress has it all !

I had used the sheridan controls (ActiveX controls with VB6) even before sheridan was bought by infragistics. These controls worked so so, ok only. I found several limitations with these controls (SSGrid and SSDateCombo, etc.). Yes, this is a few years back, but you can still see the old design in their latest Net controls, which gives me no real confidence in it.

Then I went for DevExpress (I was still using the ActiveX controls under VB5/6 that time) and was very surprised to see that these guys at DevExpress knew what they were doing, and why. They are mastering their design. Very flexible. Finally, I found the smart guys. They had cumulated experience over Delphi and .Net., and were one of the first vendors to publish controls for dot Net. Today, they provide V.7 of their controls. The same controls can be used in the Grid (or elsewhere : tree, toolbar, ribbon) for direct edition (dateCombo, ColorCombo, SpinEdit, CheckBox, etc.) or outside of the grid, which is awesome, all of them work together. Their suite in very complete : Grid which has it all plus more, Tree, Charting, reporting (and not just anyone), dateCombo (up to Vista like), scheduler, pivot grid, layout control, toolbar, NavBar, Printing, Spellchecker, ORM (XPO), Ribbon, Menu, Toolbar, centralized application skinning, not to forget the Web with their incredible fast grid
(the fastest, you would not have missed the commercial, did you ?) and a scheduler plus all related controls. Charting and reporting work alike / compatible in the Web and Winform version.

DevExpress also provides CodeRush and Refactor! (productivity tools) as well as XAF, a new revolutionary framework product.

Their support is responsive (24 h at the most), listen to customers, implements customers wishes if demand is important, plus showing active forums, knowledge base and usable documentation.

Around three major new versions per year (included in the yearly subscription).

Regards,

Marc

S

Sam

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the info, this is very helpful. I've personally never used the
DevExpress components before but I've heard good things about them recently.
Thank again Marc.

Regards,

Sam

Ask a Question