.NET CF v2 not capatible on VGA Dell Axim!

Hi

Has anyone experienced any problems running .NET CF v2 applications on Dell
Axim x51v/Dell Axim X50v (Pocket PC 2003SE or WM5.0)? Whenever my users exit
the .NET CF v2 application the today screen shows large patches of purple.
Only way to fix this is to soft reset or rotate the screen. I don’t have a
Dell Axim to test but I tested the application on my XDA Exec and it exited
without any problems. So it seems the problem is related to VGA Dell Axims
only.

Gavin

Bill Patten

Hi Gavin

I am testing an app on my AXIMx51v and have not seen that problem. Most of
the exits seem ok though sometimes it wants to tell Microsoft about the
problems, though I think I've created most of them.

Bill

Hi Bill

That is strange, I have three different users reporting the same problem,
they are all using Axim x50 or Axim x51. From the screen shot I received, it
seems like the Today screen is corrupted after the application exits.

Gavin

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Sounds like a bug in your code. Maybe your method of exit is wrong, you are
holding onto some graphics object (an HDC? a bitmap? I don't know.), or
something of that nature.

Paul T.

Dick Grier

Hi,

I haven't seen this on my X51v. Does this happen with all CF2 apps, even
"Hello World?"

Dick

--
Richard Grier, MVP
Hard & Software

Hi Paul

I have tested the code on the WM5.0 emulator, on a Jam (PPC 2003 SE), on a
K-Jam (WM5.0 QVGA), on XDA Exec (WM5.0 VGA), on Palm Treo 700w (square
display) and none of then have any problem with exited. If it is a bug in my
code then it only affects Dell Axims v50/v51. In this case clearly the .NET
CF is not the same for all devices?

I’m not holding on to any bitmaps, all bitmaps are disposed of when
finished. My code does not use HDC or any pinvokes to create/manipulate
bitmaps, just plain New Bitmap() ...

Seems like I’m the only one with the problem, then :(

Gavin

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Just might be how it's exposed, whether it's because of the memory structure
on that device, which Today screen is actually running, etc., it's difficult
to tell. Although it's possible that device A and device B might have
different service packs of .NET CF 1.0 on them (or that you might have
installed .NET CF 2.0 on one or more of the test units), it definitely seems
more likely to be something that you're doing. No P/Invokes in your code?
Not doing any custom message processing by overriding a WndProc or using
OpenNETCF's IMessageFilter? I guess you could do hard resets on two
devices, one that shows it and one that doesn't, just to be sure there isn't
anything unusual going on.

The problem description doesn't ring any bells for me. You can search the
group archives via GoogleGroups, to check:

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...tframework?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Paul T.

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

Do you have custom today plug in on this Dell? Managed, perhaps?

--
Best regards,

Ilya

*** Want to find answers instantly? Here's how... ***

1. Go to
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework?hl=en
2. Type your question in the text box near "Search this group" button.
3. Hit "Search this group" button.
4. Read answer(s).

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

Hilton

FYI: I'm running my app on an X50v (WM 5.0) using CF2 and it works just
fine. Definitely nothing strange happening with the Today Screen. Just one
data point.

Hilton