Need to Change Windows / Word "Last Saved By" Attribute on Many Files

Reaction score
Word has an attribute "Last Saved By" that saves the Last Author to save the document. This can be eliminated by opening the document, going to Tools/Options/Security and checking the "Remove personal information from file properties on save" box.

This works great. But I have to do this on an ongoing basis to all files in certain folders (the work needs to be anonymous for review to be fair). It is possible to select a group of files and change the "Author" attribute, but not the "Last Saved By" attribute.

Does anyone know how to do this? It would be ideal to have an executable program that can be run on individual files. Also - for the first iteration there are thousands of existing files - any type of utility that can be run on a folder or a group of files to change these attributes.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance!

Reaction score
I have found that I you select the word documents that you have to remove or alter the document summay information.
IT can be removed with out any need for software.

Navigate the files and select them in windows explorer, and right click on the selected file and select properties.
You will get information about the selected files at the top of the box you should have 2 or 3 tabs Click on summary tab.
You will be presented with information about the Word docs, any if not have a look for advanced tab. What you are looking for is Authour <Multiple Values>. There you should be able to click and alter the information, and this would apply to all the files selected.

I hope this makes sense, and works, if not I think a little digging around the .net frameworks could reveal a function that would preform this feature in a vb.net application. Let me know.

Ask a Question