Need just one answer!!!

Reaction score
Hi, am building a computer tomorrow - the memory i chose was 2x256mb dual channel geil pc3200. the dual channel kit was out of stock so i ordered 2 seperate but identical sticks of the same stuff.

is this ok to run dual channel?

cheers chris.

Reaction score
i hate the way manufacturers try to confuse people with this!

must be a snide way of squeezing more hard earned cash out of consumers!

i've come across places where it's worked out cheaper to buy the ram seperately than in a "dual channel kit".

do you get a free screw driver with these "kits" or something!

James

Reaction score
Thanks, i do remember reading something about the dual channel thing being a marketing ploy thing.
It turns out that the dual channel "Kit" is £3 more expensive than buying 2 single sticks so there really isn't much in it.

I was just wondering if the sticks in the "kit" have been specially matched or something like that! I have bought the kit beore (the exact same one) when i built my parents pc. You get the 2 sticks of ram in a nicely presented box, not that this matters however.

Anyway, heres another one for you guys if you want. I bought a case for £22.33 inc VAT and it comes with a generic 430w power supply. are there any problems with these things?

bear in mind these would not be used for overclocking...

:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Anyway, heres another one for you guys if you want. I bought a case for £22.33 inc VAT and it comes with a generic 430w power supply. are there any problems with these things?

I can't say for sure, but I think it would be fine for a low-grade application... although I wouldnt load the PSU anywhere near 430W (quite a bit anyway). The case will probably be fine, but just have a few sharp corners etc... inside.

Someone else will have probably tried one of these and will be able to give you a better informed answer ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
With dual channel memory the claim is that they're matched for having exactly the same characteristics, probably done on an oscilloscope or production line measurement or something as every batch of RAM will have some differences between sticks.

However, in everyday life terms, seems to make not one jot of difference.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

Well a case is a case, and as for the PSU, i see no problems what so ever.

I bought a spare PSU off a friend(400w), he got it out a new case he bought(about £30 for the case). So it wasnt no special make. I've had no probs what so ever with it.

I dont see the point in spend a great amount on a PSU, they all do the same job ;).

Reaction score
Well i have used two or three before but this computer i am building is for my food technology teacher at school - it has to last for ages and not go wrong - kind of different to my parents and sisters computer!

I don't know how much power this spec uses but im sure its not anywhere near 430w:

Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800MHz bla bla bla
Asus P4P800E Deluxe Springdale
2x256Mb Geil PC3200 "Dual Channeled"
Leadtek 256Mb FX5200 TV Out
Maxtor Plus 9 SATA 80Gb 8mb 7200rpm HDD
Creative v92 modem
MSI CDRW DVD Combo
Floppy Drive

Thats whats going to be run on it. Mainly office apps she tells me.
As long as it should work good for ages its cool!

On the subject of power supplies, my antec 400w has "Active PFC" and makes it "environmentally friendly" - does anyone have a clue as to what this means?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
I dont see the point in spend a great amount on a PSU, they all do the same job ;).
They may all do the same job, but some do it better than others.

A generic PSU rated at 430W may be able to give a momentary peak of it's full power but will likely fail to deliver when being called to supply 430 watts of near continuous current.

So when you spend the extra money on an Antec Truepower or an Enermax, for instance, it's money well spent.

Feel the weight difference between a POS cheapo and a quality PSU. The good one rests the scales at floor level and el cheapo is dangling in mid air ;) Weight is usually the sign of quality compenents being used.

And there's also the question of longevity to consider.

I have used Generic PSU's myself, never had a problem with them to be honest, and often they'll do the job for a modest system. But I now have all Antec Truepowers.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
On the subject of power supplies, my antec 400w has "Active PFC" and makes it "environmentally friendly" - does anyone have a clue as to what this means?
No I don't. At a guess - Active Power Fan Control? Probably the fan is temperature controlled, meaning it only comes on when needed, thus saving power. A drop in the ocean, perhaps, but it all helps I suppose. And lengthens the life of the fan as well.

Reaction score
ah! sounds like a good guess!

I did actually read something interesting on the net about power supplies and the weight. also read about some having wrong wattage labels put on them purposely - eg 400w on a PSU that is really 350w

or something like that anyhow.

Reaction score
Haha sorry to bother you guys again. I was wondering if you could help me with a couple things i have been wondering about over the past few days...

1.) What gives better performance - tighter ram timings or faster FSB?

2.) What are the ratios in bios all about - eg FSB/AGP/PCI or something like that and i've heard of the term 5:4 used...

ta, chris

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'll leave your last questions to an "overclocker" to answer, all I would say is match your RAM to the CPU, that is, if you have a 333FSB CPU then use (as a minimum) 333 memory. Trying to 'squeeze' an extra millisecond out of the system is a waist of time if you fit a 5400rpm HD.

One more comment though on PSUs ... have a look at what the 3.3v & 5v add upto, if its not on the 'sticker' I don't buy that PSU. I've seen a 450 add upto 180W and a 350 PSU come in at 210W ... on my 'customers systems' I use a £20 case that comes with a 400W PSU rated at 210W on the 3.3v + 5v rails, however, for my own personal systems I spend that little extra and use something with more clout. ;)

Oh, and the only time is see my customers that have "real" faults (user error is not uncommon) is when the PSU has died, that is getting a little annoying, need to see about changing the cases, err, PSUs. :D

Ask a Question