Need help with Windows Explorer Bar

William G. Davis

This seems so simple but it escapes me. I am using the web view for my
folders. I open a folder and the left pane is covered by default with the
"explorer bar" folder list. I prefer the left pane simply show the "File
and Folder Tasks, Details, and Other Places, etc. as the default view. So
how do I turn off the explorer bar?

I have tried changing the settings and saving the view for all folders with
the explorer bar unchecked in the view settings. Doesn't work.

I'll be posting this on a few other groups as I am unsure of where this
question goes.

Any help would be appreciated. This is for a Win XP/SP2 setup, 3.0 Ghz
processor, 2GB RAM.

Thanks!

W. G. Davis

Wesley Vogel

Web View & Enable Web content in Folders in XP is called Common Tasks.

Start | Run | Type: control folders | Click OK |
General tab | Select: Show common tasks in folders |
Click Apply | Click OK

Show common tasks in folders
[[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on your
computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
the folder window.]]

You can also just click the Folders icon on the Menu bar to toggle from
the Folders pane view to Common Tasks and back.

Enable or disable Common Tasks pane in folders
http://www.winxptutor.com/commontasks.htm
I'll be posting this on a few other groups as I am unsure of where this
question goes.

Please don't multi-post.
http://www.aspfaq.com/etiquette.asp?id=5003

With Outlook Express...

To send your message to multiple newsgroups on the same news server, in the
New Message dialog box, click the icon next to Newsgroups. In the Pick
Newsgroups dialog box, click one or more newsgroups from the list (hold down
the CTRL key to select multiple newsgroups), and then click Add. You can
choose from all newsgroups or only those you subscribe to by clicking Show
only subscribed newsgroups.

You can send a given message to more than one newsgroup at a time only if
all the newsgroups are on the same news server. To post a message to
newsgroups on other news servers, create a separate message for each news
server.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

William G. Davis

Have already done this step.

I am trying to block the explorer bar from showing in the left pane by
default. I don't use it. It really is not helpful with the details view,
and I prefer to have the only the folder tasks etc showing in the left pane
when opening the window.

William G. Davis said:
This seems so simple but it escapes me. I am using the web view for my
folders. I open a folder and the left pane is covered by default with
the
"explorer bar" folder list. I prefer the left pane simply show the "File
and Folder Tasks, Details, and Other Places, etc. as the default view.
So
how do I turn off the explorer bar?

I have tried changing the settings and saving the view for all folders
with the explorer bar unchecked in the view settings. Doesn't work.

I'll be posting this on a few other groups as I am unsure of where this
question goes.

Any help would be appreciated. This is for a Win XP/SP2 setup, 3.0 Ghz
processor, 2GB RAM.

Thanks!

W. G. Davis

Keith Miller MVP

Folder Options -> file types -> hi-lite 'Folder' -> click 'Advanced -> hi-lite 'open' -> click 'Set
Default'

Wesley Vogel

Start | Run | Type: explorer /n | Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

William G. Davis said:
This seems so simple but it escapes me. I am using the web view for my
folders. I open a folder and the left pane is covered by default with
the
"explorer bar" folder list. I prefer the left pane simply show the
"File and Folder Tasks, Details, and Other Places, etc. as the default
view. So
how do I turn off the explorer bar?

I have tried changing the settings and saving the view for all folders
with the explorer bar unchecked in the view settings. Doesn't work.

I'll be posting this on a few other groups as I am unsure of where this
question goes.

Any help would be appreciated. This is for a Win XP/SP2 setup, 3.0 Ghz
processor, 2GB RAM.

Thanks!

W. G. Davis

William G. Davis

No, sorry. I still got the Folders Explorer Bar. But Keith Miller's
suggestion seems to have worked.

Thanks for your time.

I'll cross post next time.

W. G. Davis

Wesley Vogel said:
[...]

In William G. Davis <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
This seems so simple but it escapes me. I am using the web view for my
folders. I open a folder and the left pane is covered by default with
the
"explorer bar" folder list. I prefer the left pane simply show the
"File and Folder Tasks, Details, and Other Places, etc. as the default
view. So
how do I turn off the explorer bar?

I have tried changing the settings and saving the view for all folders
with the explorer bar unchecked in the view settings. Doesn't work.

I'll be posting this on a few other groups as I am unsure of where this
question goes.

Any help would be appreciated. This is for a Win XP/SP2 setup, 3.0 Ghz
processor, 2GB RAM.

Thanks!

W. G. Davis

William G. Davis

Seems to have worked. Thank you very much.

W. G. Davis

Keith Miller MVP said:
Folder Options -> file types -> hi-lite 'Folder' -> click 'Advanced ->
hi-lite 'open' -> click 'Set
Default'

--
Good Luck,

[...]