Need Help Restoring Outlook 2000 pst files from ME to 2000 Professional

Tam

We backed up original (ME) Outlook pst files to CD. Reformatted hard
drive and installed 2000 Professional. We are having a hard time
restoring the pst files on the new operating system. We have tried
dragging and droping the pst file to C\windows\local
settings\application data\microsoft\outlook, them turning off the read
only attributes. This did not work. Next after reading serveral other
posts we tried opening outlook. Then going to file\open\personal
files. This does not work either. We belive the problem is within the
path, as we are receiving a "can not find at this location error" Does
anyone know if ME using a different path to get to the outlook folder
than 2000 Professional uses. If so how do we change the path. We
thought trying to open the pst file using Outlook would do this, but
it did not.

Bert

Tam,

Try this. While in Outlook, display the Folder list.
Place the cursor on Outlook Today and do a right click.
This will drop down a menu. You will see (towards the
bottom) "Open personal Folders File (.pst)". Select this
menu option, browse to your .pst and select. It should
now be there!

Good Luck,
Bert

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I don't understand. If you put the file on your hard drive, then you know
the path to it. Why can't you use that path to open the PST?

Tam

Russ Valentine said:
I don't understand. If you put the file on your hard drive, then you know
the path to it. Why can't you use that path to open the PST?
Russ, I know the path that I placed the file in. It is C\windows\local
settings\application data\microsoft\outlook. I browse to this
location, click on the file, click open and receive a message that
says the mail delivery location has changed. I thought this was
because the old op sys was set up with profiles, so I set up profiles
the exact same way as before. This still did not work. To me this does
not make sense anyway, because the pst file is just a file, how does
it know where it was located before. What am I missing? Could my
problem be because I am not hooked up to the network. This is my work
computer. It had ME on it. We are installing new accounting software
on the server, and ME was not compatable, so I brought my computer
home to upgrade, so that I didn't have to stay at work all night doing
it. So much for that plan, it is two days later and I am still having
problems. We don't have a network administrator where I work, it is a
small company. I usually take care of any problems that arise, but
this has got me stumped.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

How are you opening the file? You can't open a PST other than from within
Outlook: File > Open. THEN you browse to the file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]