Need help re-organizing data

Reaction score
I just downloaded a data set that has over 60 million entries, since it was so big I split it into many files. The data includes all previous earnings of a 1% sample of workers and beneficiaries covered under Social Security.

I would much rather be using this data set in Excel, but because it is so big, and I need to do many calculations, Excel kept freezing up. I don't know how to use Access, but all I want to do is to be able to do calculations using this earnings data.

Unfortunately the data is presented in a very unhelpful and inconvenient way. Instead of having one row per individual, and a column for each year, it is presented like this
ID Year Earnings
1 1998 2400
1 1999 3000
1 2000 3200
2 1970 12000
2 1971 14400
etc.
where the ID# indicates the individual.

but I need it presented like this.
ID 1998 1999 200
1 2400 3000 3200
etc

I really need there to be columns for every year from 1951 to 2006, and since many people won't have earnings from those years, I would like there to be a 0 in the cell if they did not work that year. Again, I don't know how to use MS Access because I usually use Excel. This may be pretty simple, but it's not what I'm used to.

I would really appreciate any help in trying to use and re-organize this data. It is for research that I am currently working on.

Thanks,
Anthony

Ask a Question