Need help on final step of Networking

G

Here's the deal
I have a Windows XP with a DSL modem and a Linksys wireless router. Upstairs I have a Mac OSX with a D-Link wireless adapter (both router and adapter are b's)

The Mac pings and receives the IP from the Windows, but when I open Explorer it reads "server can't be found" or something similar. I have been on the phone with Dell, Linksys and D-Link and no one can help. It seems to me like there must be some simple setting that is not having explorer search for the internet connection in the right place, but I have no idea where or what

Please help. Thanks!

P

philip ashley

sounds like the Mac isnt resolving the dns server properly

in the TCP/IP properties have you tried setting the dns addresses to the
same that your isp has given you.

hth

philip ashley

Verde said:
Here's the deal.
I have a Windows XP with a DSL modem and a Linksys wireless router.
Upstairs I have a Mac OSX with a D-Link wireless adapter (both router and
adapter are b's).
The Mac pings and receives the IP from the Windows, but when I open
Explorer it reads "server can't be found" or something similar. I have been
on the phone with Dell, Linksys and D-Link and no one can help. It seems to
me like there must be some simple setting that is not having explorer search
for the internet connection in the right place, but I have no idea where or
what.

G

They're the same. It does it automatically and they line up right. This means that the adapter is receiving from the router--or else how would it get this info? It seems like there is a setting that is making Explorer look somewhere else for the connection. It's driving me insane

Does anyone know of a step by step process to check this? Mac OSX is new to me and confusing. I'm almost ready to pack it all up and toss it in the trash.

Ask a Question