need help installing memory

Reaction score
I have a Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4800+ 2.50 GHZ with two 1 GB 240 pin DDR2 667 hertz. I tried to install a 2 GB chip and it failed to work do I need to install 2 (1) GB chips to get 4 GB of ram. I am running windows 7 and also do not know what video card as The computer is a recent gift to me from a friend. What would you recommend I do to improve its speed. I do a lot of digital photo work and use photoshop alot. Happy new year to everyone!

Reaction score
I looked up my NForce 6M-A v2.0 motherboard and this is what i found.

º Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture
º 4 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 32GB*
º Support DDR2 800/667/533/400 DDR2 SDRAM
º * (Due to the DRAM maximum size is 2GB at present, the memory maximum size we have tested is 8GB)
Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows® 32-bit OS.
For Windows® 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation

My next question is do I I have to put more memory in pairs? Buy 2 (1) GB ? I have attached the recommended memory modules? Can you recommend or help me Please?
Happy New Year?:fool:

Attachments

• NFORCE6M-A (2.0).pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,542
Reaction score
The memory module I bought and tried was a Crucial 2 GB 240 pin DDR2 667 and when I put it in my computer it would not work in conjunction with the existing 2(1) GB modules

Reaction score
I realize now they are not called modules but sticks. I apologize for being such a newbie.

Reaction score
Well, I went back to Crucial like you recommended and found they will download a computer scanner that tells you what is compatible with your computer. I figured it out and ordered 4 GB of new memory for 52 dollars. I could have probably gotten it elsewhere fore cheaper, a couple of bucks, but at least they recommend it based on my system. I will let you all know what happens when I install it? I am so proud of myself!:D

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I am running windows 7 !

Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

I looked up my NForce 6M-A v2.0 motherboard and this is what i found.

º Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture
º 4 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 32GB*
º Support DDR2 800/667/533/400 DDR2 SDRAM
º * (Due to the DRAM maximum size is 2GB at present, the memory maximum size we have tested is 8GB)
Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows® 32-bit OS.
For Windows® 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation

My next question is do I I have to put more memory in pairs? Buy 2 (1) GB ? I have attached the recommended memory modules? Can you recommend or help me Please?
Happy New Year?:fool:

There's no real point recomending without knowing if you are on 32 or 64bit OS

USB flash drives are usually refered to as memory sticks or memory cards for cameras are sometimes called memory sticks. Those insid a computer are memory modules :D

Reaction score
64 bit and I was right about the module, I always sucked at multiple choice!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
64 bit and I was right about the module, I always sucked at multiple choice!

dmgems you can use a jump drive or USB stick of say 8 GB and get your Win 7 to use it as additional RAM, it works great when you are using/editing photos. If you have one lying around use it. You can allocate the space on it based on Windows recommendations for your system.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
SUPER cool option. I can see this being a huge benefit to a system. I just added 4GB of memory to my system. I am going to play around with this for sure.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have 4 gigs in my laptop with an 8 gig pack on its way. I also use a USB drive for Readyboost. Makes quite a difference :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It's not a be-all-end-all, but rather a good attempt by MS for people to keep their older systems
ReadyBoost

... it essentially keeps tabs on hard disk operations and will only go into action reading and delivering files from its cache when doing so will boost performance. Otherwise, it defers to the cache on your hard disk. More specifically, during sequential read operations, a hard disk will outperform a flash-based drive; during nonsequential read operations, a flash-based drive, and subsequently ReadyBoost, will outperform a hard disk.

It’s also important to understand that recognizing the performance gain provided by using ReadyBoost is pretty subjective and will depend on what kind of applications you run on your computer and what type of data you typically work with.
Get better HD cache :rolleyes:

Laptops traditionally use slow HDs, so I'm not surprised you see some benefit from using RB ... :)

Ask a Question