Need help accessing hard drive since Heur crashed XP

Reaction score
So the heur virus seems to have damaged XP and now when I try to boot I get a blue screen flash then back to start up... this process repeats itself..

I had XP configured with two identities, mine(admin) and guest- in case a friend wanted to borrow to access internet. So, I needed to supply a password to access my 'account'. When the virus crashed me I ordered an adapter to access the HD to extract my personal data. I had a 120GB hard drive. When I view my infected HD it shows about 110GB used and 10 GB free, which sounds right. The problem is, I can only access about 20GB of my files and the rest are out of sight. What i am thinking is that since they were password protected they do not show because for security XP is hiding them since I did not access the HD via the password.

So, is there a way I can log in even though I am only viewing the hard drive through another computer?

It was suggested that I download a program called Knoppix which will boot the HD from the DVD/CD drive and allow me to see all the information but I still suspect that the issue is having had most of the info partitioned or protected and that security feature is still in place.

Thanks for any help.

Ask a Question