Navigation Pane always reverts // cannot show all contact items

amaury.entaleaume

Hi,
I have two questions, please.

(1) Firstly, I have a problem with the navigation pane (Outlook2007 on
XP). From my understanding, the navigation pane should show the last
used view at startup. For example, if "contacts" were selected it
should also be "contacts" the next time. From what I can recall, this
was the behaviour I experienced. But since one week, the navigation
pane always starts in the "folder list" at startup, no matter what it
was showing when Outlook closed down. I am 100% sure, that I did not
change any settings in tools>options!
Is there any way to (A) tell the navigation pane to show whatever was
selected at closure of Outlook or at least (B) to make it show
"contacts" as default ?

(2) I have organized my contacts into several folders. But sometimes,
I would wish to see all my contacts in one list. I know that there is
the field "All contact items", but it only allows you to search for
specific contacts and display them in one list. But I would like to
show all my contacts in a list. I have tried to enter a whitespace or
nothing in the search field in order to achieve this, but it does not
work. Is there another possibilty.

I have been looking around here in the discussions, but couldn't find
any solutions.
Thanks a lot for any assistance.

Kind regards,
Amaury

Brian Tillman

(1) Firstly, I have a problem with the navigation pane (Outlook2007 on
XP). From my understanding, the navigation pane should show the last
used view at startup.

Did you try starting Outlook once with the /resernavpane command switch?
(2) I have organized my contacts into several folders. But sometimes,
I would wish to see all my contacts in one list. I know that there is
the field "All contact items", but it only allows you to search for
specific contacts and display them in one list. But I would like to
show all my contacts in a list. I have tried to enter a whitespace or
nothing in the search field in order to achieve this, but it does not
work. Is there another possibilty.

I don't know of any way to present a view of all of your Contacts folders at
one time, except to open each in a separate window.

amaury.entaleaume

Hi, thanks so much for your help.

(1) No, I never used any command switches. Is it safe to try this
switch? Can it break something ?

(2) I don't want a view of all my folders, but a view with one LIST of
ALL MY CONTACTS (no matter in which folder they are). I have described
above, how I tried to achieve this, but I did not find any solution.

Any assistance is much appreciated, thanks!

amaury.entaleaume

Ok, in the meanwhile I have tried the /resetnavpane commandswitch. It
did the job, great! Thanks.

So the only problem left is that I need to see all my contact items in
one single list (even if they are in separate folders). If anybody
knows a trick and could jump in, I would be really thankful.

Cheers,
Amaury

Judy Gleeson \(MVP Outlook\)

The solution is to go back through each folder and Categorise them. Then
amalgamate the folders so you have a single Contacts Folder, but numerous
Categories.

To Categorise every record in your existing folder, select all, right click
and set the Category eg in the Friends Folder, make them ALL Category
Friends. Then when you amalgamate folders, you can still send email just to
firends.

Regards

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook
Trainer and Consultant

There are various articles about using Outlook here:
www.judygleeson.com/articles.aspx
Canberra, Australia

"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each
other?"
George Eliot

Brian Tillman

(1) No, I never used any command switches. Is it safe to try this
switch? Can it break something ?

I'm glad the switch worked for you and that you noticed I typed it wrong.
(2) I don't want a view of all my folders, but a view with one LIST of
ALL MY CONTACTS (no matter in which folder they are). I have described
above, how I tried to achieve this, but I did not find any solution.

As I said, I don't believe this is possible. I don't know how to show the
contents of multiple contact folders in a single view. You can open each
contact folder in its own window, however, and view them all that way.

amaury.entaleaume

Thanks Brian for your help.

And Judy, I have already considered this, but the problem is that I
often switch between folders and need that to be done quickly. When I
use categories like you suggest, I would have to define views with a
filter for each category to achieve this. But since I use different
views for each folder (business cards, lists, etc.) and since - as far
as I know - the filters cannot be defined separately from the views, I
would end up with an unacceptably high number of views. I currently
have 10 different views that I use for EACH contact folder. I have 12
folders. So I would need 10*12=120 views ....
So I guess this is not an option.

########################
the easiest solution would still be, if I could use the search for
"all contact items"...
I just can't understand why it is not possible to enter a whitespace
or nothing at all and just hit "enter". Because when I enter for
example just the letter "a", Outlook shows about 75% of all my
contacts in one list (no matter in which folder the contact is
stored). I would like Outlook to show me 100% of my contacts in one
list.

QUOTE:
Judy Gleeson (MVP Outlook)
From: "Judy Gleeson \(MVP Outlook\)" <judy>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 13:02:03 +1100
Subject: Re: Navigation Pane always reverts // cannot show all contact
items
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author