Native exception occurs when device is turned off, and then on.

Asheesh

Hi All,

Please help me with this Strange problem. I've developed a small application
using .NET CF. I use a 3rd party MP3 audio engine for playback PInvoking the
respective DLL functions that play some of the audio files.
So far, so good,

I've completed my application, and am ready to release it. But off late I've
discovered a strange bug.

This bug occurs only on WM 2003 device, and that too Toshiba e 755.
The bug is that if I install my .NET CF based app on a CF card, and then
when the application is in the running mode, I simply turn my device off,
and then turn it on, and then try to access my app by pressing any button or
any other command, a native exception occurs, and my application crashes.

This is the native exception details.

ExceptionCode: 0xc0000005
ExceptionAddress: 0x0142a94
Reading: 0x49a0935

However, If I install my application in main memory of my Toshiba e 755, and
then try do the same thing as mentioned above. There is no error, and even
after turning off, and then turning on my device, I'm able to run the
application from the last state, where I turned my device off.

Another strange thing is that this error occurs if I install my app on the
CF Card. However, If I use a SD Card on my Toshiba e 755, install my app on
that SD Card, and then try to turn off, and turn on my app while it is
running. There is no error, and my application runs fine.

For testing purposes, I tried to do the same thing using the same CF Card,
which gave me trouble on my iPAQ PPC 2002, and strangely, it ran as
flawlessly.

In order to be sure that this isn't a device based or my app based problem.
I installed my app on a Dell Axim X5 WM 2003 device's CF Card. Then I ran my
app, and did the same turn off/on method.

The app ran fine, and it ran from the same position on which I turned my
device off.
Since the app runs fine on SD Card on the same Toshiba device, but falters
on the CF Card, there could be a problem with Toshiba's handling of the
contents of CF Card in memory.

This issue is corroborated by the fact that my app when installed on the
same CF Card on the Dell Axim X5 WM 2003 device, and then using the same CF
Card on iPAQ PPC 2002 runs absolutely fine, after following that same Turn
off/on procedure.

I'd really appreciate if some one could help me out on this. Could this be a
device specific problem? Has any one faced this problem before?

Also is there a possibility that since I'm using making Win32 API calls, and
calling other 3rd party DLLs using DLLImport, a turning off/on of a device
could lead to a snapping of memory used by my app? But since this error
doesn't occur in Dell or iPAQ device, this could be a problem only with
Toshiba.

Please help
Regards,
Asheesh

Benjamin Wulfe

There are a few known issues with Toshiba devices and CF cards. For
example, there is a 1/2 a second delay between the time the notification is
sent that a storage card is inserted before the card can successfully be
enumerated.

Thanks for your thorough investigation. I have notified the correct group
involved in this area and they will fix the problem as appropriate.

-Ben

> [...]
| contents of CF Card in memory.
|
| This issue is corroborated by the fact that my app when installed on the
| same CF Card on the Dell Axim X5 WM 2003 device, and then using the same
CF
| Card on iPAQ PPC 2002 runs absolutely fine, after following that same Turn
| off/on procedure.
|
| I'd really appreciate if some one could help me out on this. Could this
be a
| device specific problem? Has any one faced this problem before?
|
| Also is there a possibility that since I'm using making Win32 API calls,
and
| calling other 3rd party DLLs using DLLImport, a turning off/on of a device
| could lead to a snapping of memory used by my app? But since this error
| doesn't occur in Dell or iPAQ device, this could be a problem only with

Asheesh

Thanks a lot, Benjamin. I really appreciate your reply. Since this strange
behavior is shown only by the Toshiba WM 2003 devices, I can safely presume
that there won't be any issues with other devices, unless of course, there
is some bug in other devices.
Though I've tested this issue on Dell, iPAQ, and there wasn't any problem
with them. However, I can't be sure of devices other than Dell, iPAQ.

However, this could be a known case with Toshiba only, its just that no body
else detected it.
What do you think?

Regards,
Asheesh

Benjamin Wulfe

It's very possible. Our Windows CE team will examine the issue and if
there appears a work around -- or if it turns out not to be a device
problem (ie a problem with your app) -- I will repost with that info.
Thanks again for your thorough investigation.

| From: "Asheesh" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Native exception occurs when device is turned off, and then
on.
| Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:27:09 +0530
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Thanks a lot, Benjamin. I really appreciate your reply. Since this strange
| behavior is shown only by the Toshiba WM 2003 devices, I can safely
presume
| that there won't be any issues with other devices, unless of course, there
| is some bug in other devices.
| Though I've tested this issue on Dell, iPAQ, and there wasn't any problem
| with them. However, I can't be sure of devices other than Dell, iPAQ.
|
| However, this could be a known case with Toshiba only, its just that no
body
| else detected it.
| What do you think?
|
| Regards,
| Asheesh
| | > There are a few known issues with Toshiba devices and CF cards. For
| > example, there is a 1/2 a second delay between the time the notification
| is
| > sent that a storage card is inserted before the card can successfully be
| > enumerated.
| >
| > Thanks for your thorough investigation. I have notified the correct
group
| > involved in this area and they will fix the problem as appropriate.
| >
| > -Ben

| rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Asheesh" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Native exception occurs when device is turned off, and then
on.
| > | Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:04:33 +0530
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
| > |
| > | Hi All,
| > |
| > | Please help me with this Strange problem. I've developed a small
| > application
| > | using .NET CF. I use a 3rd party MP3 audio engine for playback
PInvoking
| > the
| > | respective DLL functions that play some of the audio files.
| > | So far, so good,
| > |
| > | I've completed my application, and am ready to release it. But off
late
| > I've
| > | discovered a strange bug.
| > |
| > | This bug occurs only on WM 2003 device, and that too Toshiba e 755.
| > | The bug is that if I install my .NET CF based app on a CF card, and
then
| > | when the application is in the running mode, I simply turn my device
| off,
| > | and then turn it on, and then try to access my app by pressing any
| button
| > or
| > | any other command, a native exception occurs, and my application
| crashes.
| > |
| > | This is the native exception details.
| > |
| > | ExceptionCode: 0xc0000005
| > | ExceptionAddress: 0x0142a94
| > | Reading: 0x49a0935
| > |
| > | However, If I install my application in main memory of my Toshiba e
755,
| > and
| > | then try do the same thing as mentioned above. There is no error, and
| even
| > | after turning off, and then turning on my device, I'm able to run the
| > | application from the last state, where I turned my device off.
| > |
| > | Another strange thing is that this error occurs if I install my app
on
| > the
| > | CF Card. However, If I use a SD Card on my Toshiba e 755, install my
app
| > on
| > | that SD Card, and then try to turn off, and turn on my app while it is
| > | running. There is no error, and my application runs fine.
| > |
| > | For testing purposes, I tried to do the same thing using the same CF
| Card,
| > | which gave me trouble on my iPAQ PPC 2002, and strangely, it ran as
| > | flawlessly.
| > |
| > | In order to be sure that this isn't a device based or my app based
| > problem.
| > | I installed my app on a Dell Axim X5 WM 2003 device's CF Card. Then I
| ran
| > my
| > | app, and did the same turn off/on method.
| > |
| > | The app ran fine, and it ran from the same position on which I turned
my
| > | device off.
| > | Since the app runs fine on SD Card on the same Toshiba device, but
| falters
| > | on the CF Card, there could be a problem with Toshiba's handling of
the
| > | contents of CF Card in memory.
| > |
| > | This issue is corroborated by the fact that my app when installed on
the
| > | same CF Card on the Dell Axim X5 WM 2003 device, and then using the
same
| > CF
| > | Card on iPAQ PPC 2002 runs absolutely fine, after following that same
| Turn
| > | off/on procedure.
| > |
| > | I'd really appreciate if some one could help me out on this. Could
this
| > be a
| > | device specific problem? Has any one faced this problem before?
| > |
| > | Also is there a possibility that since I'm using making Win32 API
calls,
| > and
| > | calling other 3rd party DLLs using DLLImport, a turning off/on of a
| device
| > | could lead to a snapping of memory used by my app? But since this
error
| > | doesn't occur in Dell or iPAQ device, this could be a problem only
with
| > | Toshiba.
| > |
| > | Please help