Name Resolution Problem

S. Badel

Hi,

I'm having a problem with DNS under Win2K -

Name Resolution stopped working, and a message appeared in the syslog
from IPNATHLP saying something about proxy DNS having
encoutered an error.

i'm not in a LAN and i'm connecting to internet via dial-up, settings seems
fine (auto IP & DNS) . I can ping the DNS servers from my isp and also other
www addresses, but nslookup fails saying 'no response from server'.
i checked using another computer that the isp servers is up and running.

also, i cannot connect to google or yahoo using their ip addresses, which
may suggest the problem is even deeper than DNS.

i just can't figure out where this could be coming from. any hints ?

thanks.

Sergio Moreno

Sounds like you are running ICS or NAT under RRAS on that server.
Check your network adapter(s) to see if ICS is enabled and disable if not needed and try it again.

If ICS is not being used then, check the event logs for

Event ID 31002
source: ipnathlp

If you see the above even then you are probably runing NAT under Routing and Remote Access.
You can either remove NAT (routing protocol) if not needed or you can try the following:

- On the server, open Routing and Remote Access Admin, Click on the (+) sign next to IP Routing and right click NAT.
- Then click properties. go to the Name Resolution tab. Uncheck anything that is checked in there.
- click OK until you've backed all the way out of there.
- Try name resolution again.

--------------------
From: "S. Badel" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Subject: Name Resolution Problem
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:47:30 +0200
Hi,

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.