name manager to define another workbook

3Suk

dear all,
can I use Name Manager to define a name which point to a range another excel file's sheet?
If it can't be, any alternative?

Thanks in advance
Patrick.

3Suk

dear all,

can I use Name Manager to define a name which point to a range another excel file's sheet?

Thanks in advance

Patrick.

find a way, to define a name in file A with my target range (say 'arrayA). Then in file B, define another name (say "arrayB"), file A folder path and also arrayA. Then in file B, I can vlookup using 'arrayB'.

L

lhkittle

dear all,

Thanks in advance

Patrick.

Hi Patrick,

If I understand correctly. In this example I use Book8 for the table_array and the formula is in Book9.

Name a table_array in Book8

In a cell in Book9 type in =VLOOKUP(C1, stop here and click on Book8 tab to activate and select the named table_array, now add a ,(comma) then a 2, (two & comma)then a 0 (zero) and then a ) and tap enter.

If Book8 is open then the formula would look something like this.

=VLOOKUP(C1,Book8.xlsm!MyArray,2,0)

If you close Book8 the formula will appear like this and the formula will work in either case.

=VLOOKUP(C1,'C:\Users\Howard Kittle\Documents\Book8.xlsm'!MyArray,2,0)

Regards,
Howard

3Suk

Just to add. The table_array is named "MyArray"

howard

Howard,
thanks for your solution. Actually, I were working on two different excel files. In your example, it defined a name "MyArray" in the same file but in different workbook.

Ask a Question