My Videos only plays for a couple of seconds now...

Carl Wakeman

I'm using winXP and PP2000 and something weird has happened to my abilities
to play video within PowerPoint. Presentations that worked fine now only
play a couple of seconds of video & sound - then it stops.

Any suggestions?

Scott Harvey

hi carl,

have you installed any new codecs, or 3rd party media palyers lately
such as divx players etc?

you may well find that one of the greatest problems is actualyl now
also coming through spyware, or adware as it also referred. a new
strand of the coolweb spyware trojan interferes with windows media
player 9 (i assume that you are using this?)

we have had this happen several times this past week. sadly even after
installing microsofts latest security updates for mp, we were left
with no option other than to reinstall the entire media player
package.

of course, its a bit hard to help as your post is a bit vague, but
first thoughts are around these issues as it "suddenly" happened.

check he properties of your audio codecs in the control panel to see
if everything is ok. and maybe download main concepts mpg codec from
mainconcepts.com, which can also "fix" your media player, if a new
installed 3rd party player has hampered or corrupted a video and/ or
audio codec.

good luck carl, and check back with me if you are still having
trouble. i'll set one of our chaps on it to try to help you out if
you're still struggling.

best of luck.

Regards,
Scott Harvey,
http://www.123powerpoint.com

Carl Wakeman

Thanks for the quick response - I'm struggling here,

I have updated my video editing software - Matrox100 drivers and added the
adobe video suite since I last did a powerpoint video production - so I
think something must have gone nuts on the install.

Windows media player works fine, but I have found that Microsoft Media
Player [mplay32.exe] (the system thing that PowerPoint talks to) will not
play my mpg file for more than 2 seconds. I've tested on other machines and
it works fine on them so I know the mpg is ok and its something to do with
mplay32.exe

What to do about this is I don't really know. Do I attempt to edit the reg
(which scares me) so it resembles a machine that does work, or can I
reinstall the original widows codex for mpg, or reinstall all of mplay32.exe
....??????

Regards

Carl

Is there anyone in your office/area who is comfortable editing the registry? That's honestly the first thing I'd try in this situation.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

Scott Harvey said:
[...]

"Carl Wakeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Sonia

Check http://www.soniacoleman.com/Tutorials/PowerPoint/multimedia.htm with
special attention to section 3.
--

Sonia, MS PowerPoint MVP Team
Autorun CD software, templates, and tutorials

Carl Wakeman said:
Thanks for the quick response - I'm struggling here,

I have updated my video editing software - Matrox100 drivers and added the
adobe video suite since I last did a powerpoint video production - so I
think something must have gone nuts on the install.

Windows media player works fine, but I have found that Microsoft Media
Player [mplay32.exe] (the system thing that PowerPoint talks to) will not
play my mpg file for more than 2 seconds. I've tested on other machines and
it works fine on them so I know the mpg is ok and its something to do with
mplay32.exe

What to do about this is I don't really know. Do I attempt to edit the reg
(which scares me) so it resembles a machine that does work, or can I
reinstall the original widows codex for mpg, or reinstall all of mplay32.exe
...??????

Regards

Carl

Scott Harvey said:
[...]

Thanks for the replies,

I've been checking out your tutorial Sonia (which is excellent) and
comparing my reg with your screen grabs. I have one thing different - a
duplicate in... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\MCI32
one called 'MPEGVideo mciqtz32.dll' the other 'MPEGVideo2
mciqtz32.dll'

Otherwise everything is the same. Shall I drag someone from IT out of there
hidey hole and get them to remove it? If it helps, I'm working in XP, Matrox
video card and have a Matrox 100 editing card.

Regards

Carl

Scott Harvey said:
[...]

I think you want both of those entries in the registry. I doubt it would hurt to remove the extra one, but to be honest, I don't know that it will fix your particular problem.

What happens if you play the problem video/audio files in mplay32.exe as described in the multimedia tutorial on Sonia's site?

Oh, wait. I see that you said earlier it only plays for a couple of seconds there. I honestly can't think what would be causing that problem on your machine only. I saw a truncated file once like this (received it from a newsgroup user) that played fine after I rerendered it here. MS contacts said it may have been due to a variable bitrate in the original audio file. That doesn't sound like the issue here, though, as your file plays through on others' machines.

Could it be a codec issue?

--

Carl Wakeman said:
[...]

wow carl,

it looks like you've been through the mill here. as i said in my first
post to you yesterday it is a codec issue.

i realize that a lot of opinions come flooding in. but as i said, this
is aproblem that we have also experienced after installing 3rd party
players and additional drivers.

as i say carl, it is a code issue, with your new software and hardware
overwriting and perhpas even corrupting some of the drivers requried
by media player within the powerpoint software.

we had installed a pinnacle video editing system, and violla!!!!! the
same problems as you had.

when i communicated the problems to microsoft early this spring, i was
informed by microsoft themselves to download the main concepts codec
at http://www.mainconcept.com/downloads.shtml. this fixed our
problems.

to be honest carl, dont go messing around with your registry. unless
you know precisely what you're doing, and what you are looking for,
you'll cause more harm than good.

since, i'm plugging everyones software now....if you want to clean up
your registry try, RegSupremePro. its excellent. it performs deep
scans and removes everything that is obsolete on your machine.

i'm not an mvp carl, and i know you must trust their opinions first.
thats why they are mvps. but in this issue, you've provided a case
about a specific hardware driver problem/ conflict/ error, and i guess
thats a little outside the scope of this forum.

good luck with the main concepts codec. it'll do the job, and as i
said yesterday. if you were having more problems, let me know, and
i'll do all i can to help.

Regards,
Scott Harvey,
http://www.123powerpoint.com

Sonia said:
[...]

Just done a test to see if mplay32 is still ok with some other vid file. Did
a avi. cinepak file and it played ok - so it seems to me that the mpg code
might be is screwed for mplay32. If I wanted to replace this specofc codec
for mplay32 what do I do?

Sonia said:
[...]

Wooo! Done it.

Thanks for all your help guys/girls. -Tracking it down to the codex and
Scott's suggestion about 3rd party hardware really helped.

It seems that Matrox modified the way the vid card could push out full
screen previews (very helpful moderator over at the Matrox forum) - Clicking
on the WYSIWUG DirectShow control icon and disabling it when not vid editing
solved the problem instantly.

Carl Wakeman said:
[...]

fine

Carl Wakeman

Done it!!!

Thanks guys/girls for your help. Tracking it down to mplay32 and codex
helped - then Scotts suggestion of the 3rd party hardware problems. Went
over to the Matrox forums and a developer saw my message and got me to try
turning off WYSIWYG DirectShow (something that Matrox installed
automatically to enable full screen previews, so I'm told). Now it works
fine.

Again thanks, it was really doing my head in!