My soundcard died, and I cant seem to fix it

Big_Wags

Ok, so here's the story, I have a Dell XPS thats about 2 years ol
now
It's been in very good health and I haven't had any major problem
with it
I make sure to keep everything in order and what not on this box o
mine, but for some reason my computer just STOPPED. It honestly jus
stopped, and it was frozen. When I turned it back on a few minute
later, the sound was just dead, and this happened at startup

CTHELPER.EXE - Apllication Erro

The instruction at "0x73dd3190" referenced memory at "0x11d13ea7". Th
memory could not be "read"

Then it brought up a wizard that wanted to install software. And i
offers to search for it, but I don't know what it wants from me.
checked a few places around the computer to see if I could jus
re-assign my sound card back to being in use, but it's not eve
listed in the directory

In device manager, this is the problem device, because it's never bee
there before. It's just listed as PCI Input Device, and I'm guessin
since I use a PCI bus, than it's my soundcard. But my dead soun
card

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00401102&REV_04\4&1C660DD6&0&09F

Any suggestions? I need my sound more than anything else

Glittery Gary

Big_Wags said:
Ok, so here's the story, I have a Dell XPS thats about 2 years old
now.
It's been in very good health and I haven't had any major problems
with it.
I make sure to keep everything in order and what not on this box of
mine, but for some reason my computer just STOPPED. It honestly just
stopped, and it was frozen. When I turned it back on a few minutes
later, the sound was just dead, and this happened at startup.

CTHELPER.EXE - Apllication Error

The instruction at "0x73dd3190" referenced memory at "0x11d13ea7". The
memory could not be "read".

Then it brought up a wizard that wanted to install software. And it
offers to search for it, but I don't know what it wants from me. I
checked a few places around the computer to see if I could just
re-assign my sound card back to being in use, but it's not even
listed in the directory.

In device manager, this is the problem device, because it's never been
there before. It's just listed as PCI Input Device, and I'm guessing
since I use a PCI bus, than it's my soundcard. But my dead sound
card.

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00401102&REV_04\4&1C660DD6&0&09F0

Any suggestions? I need my sound more than anything else.

what if you remove the card...........does the machine start without
problems.

if it does then fit a new sound card..........they are not to expensive.

SteveH

Glittery Gary said:
what if you remove the card...........does the machine start without
problems.

if it does then fit a new sound card..........they are not to expensive.
Why does he need to fit a new sound card?
All it appears to be is that the Creative driver got corrupted when the PC
locked up.
I would uninstall the drivers then download and install some new ones from
Creative.

SteveH

Kadaitcha Man

the tiring said:
Big_Wags said:
Ok, so here's the story, I have a Dell XPS
[SNIP]

what if you remove the card...........does the machine start without
problems.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! if it's a desktop and the drivers are corrupt then the
drivers won't load if the card is not plugged in, you ****ing stupid ****.
if it does then fit a new sound card..........they are not to
expensive.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! You brain-dead ****chop. The Dell XPS monicker covers
desktops, laptops and notebooks, you ****ing moron. At no time did the OP
state what kind of XPS he had, you useless bucket of frogsnot. So, shit for
brains, if his XPS is a notebook or laptop, should he "then fit a new sound
card..........they are not to [sic] expensive"? Hmmm? Well, you
****-knuckled baboon?

--
"Gee whiz, that's a hard one. Why don't you ask a preschooler for help on
that difficult logic problem eh!" - Nth Complexity after being told in:

"Naïve students may believe that constant motion requires a constant force.
Students at this age should begin to understand that once an object is
moving, it would stay in motion until an outside force stops it. Naïve
students may believe that if a body is moving forward there must be a net
force in the forward direction."

2001 MEAP Investigations
By: Annis Hapkiewicz and Dave Chapman, Okemos High School, Alex Azima,
Lansing Community College - The 5th grade MEAP investigation.

http://www.msta-mich.org/mcfmeap/2001-investigation.pdf

'1 - 1 does not equal 0 on a computer' [paraphrase]

"Motion requires a constant force"

"acceleration is a motion!!"

w_tom

This is the classic and simple concept called breaking a
problem down into its parts. You suspect hardware or
software. Simple. Get the manufacturer's diagnostic that
uses no Windows software. Execute that diagnostic to only see
what the hardware does. Either the diagnostic fails -
hardware is defective - or the diagnostic passes - hardware is
good.

If hardware is good, NOW you are ready to look at the
software. Only now should you delete the offending devices in
System>Device Manager, delete the sound card, and then reboot
so that the system finds the hardware and reloads drivers.

Furthermore, there was what could be useful information in
the system (event) logs. What did they say?

You have a Dell. Therefore the system comes with
comprehensive diagnostics already on the disk - which means
you bought from a responsible manufacturer. Your problems are
exactly why diagnostics are provided.