My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

Lars

Hi guys,

I have just bought a 4th HD for my P4 3.0 Mhz, 2GB Ram. Abit IC7-G.

The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s but since my
mobos SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s I will have to limit the
drive through software.

All four drives are SATA II and all spin at 7200 rpms.
2 of them are 160 GB each and the third one 250 GB.
Those 3 all have 8 MB cache, while the new 500 GB disk has 16 MB
cache.

The easiest would obviously be to add the new one last in the chain
(logically), and just move over some large folders onto it to ease on
the space of the other three. But, maybe I should take the plunge and
put it first in the chain, move Windows onto it, either clone or even
do a fresh install.

What do you think, is it worth it? Will I really gain much speed?

Reinstalling Windows from scratch is a big job. I have quite a lot of
software on it and I am really fussy with how it looks.
It is a quite ordinary desktop machine.
Windows has its own separate partition.

Lars
Stockholm

Timothy Daniels

Lars said:
[...]

Hej Lasse - I doubt any HD configuration will result
in any discernable difference in speed unless you're doing
a *lot* of big file I/O, and if that is the case, you might
want to throw in another stick or two or RAM. (2GB is
big for XP, but just the "sweetspot" for Vista). Putting
the swap file in the outside partition of the HD that
doesn't get much use theoretically increases swap file
performance, but again, if you need swap file performance,
you don't have enough RAM. What *I'd* do with that
500GB is use a partition of it for a backup of the OS -
either a clone (which could be immediately booted) or
an image file (which would need "restoration" before it
could be booted, but which would be smaller than a
clone). But that would be only if you had to be up and
running in the shortest time on the same PC. Otherwise,
I'd imagine 500GBs are great for movie editing. :)

*TimDaniels*

Rod Speed

Lars said:
I have just bought a 4th HD for my P4 3.0 Mhz, 2GB Ram. Abit IC7-G.
The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s but since my mobos
SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s I will have to limit the drive through software.

Its unlikely to even be a noticeable effect. Real thruput is limited
by the drive physical characteristics, particularly sectors per track.
All four drives are SATA II and all spin at 7200 rpms.
2 of them are 160 GB each and the third one 250 GB.
Those 3 all have 8 MB cache, while the new 500 GB disk has 16 MB cache.

That wont have any real effect.
The easiest would obviously be to add the new one last in the chain (logically), and
just move over some large folders onto it to ease on the space of the other three.
But, maybe I should take the plunge and put it first in the chain, move Windows onto it,

Yes, its generally best to make the new drive the boot
drive, just because it generally is the best performer.
either clone or even do a fresh install.

Clone is all you need to do.
What do you think, is it worth it? Will I really gain much speed?

Yes, the difference should be noticeable.
Reinstalling Windows from scratch is a big job.

Yeah, and there is nothing to be achieved by doing that, cloning is fine.
I have quite a lot of software on it and I am really fussy with how it looks.

The files and settings transfer wizard does make a clean install much
easier than it used to be, but there's nothing to be gained over a clone.
It is a quite ordinary desktop machine.
Windows has its own separate partition.

There's no real point in that. Unfortunately you will need to do a clean install to change that.

Rod Speed

I doubt any HD configuration will result in any discernable difference in speed unless you're doing a *lot* of big
file I/O,

Even just the boot should be noticeably faster if the new drive is.
and if that is the case, you might want to throw in another stick or two or RAM.

Wont have any effect on big file IO.
(2GB is big for XP, but just the "sweetspot" for Vista).
Putting the swap file in the outside partition of the HD that doesn't get much use theoretically increases swap file
performance, but again, if you need swap file performance, you don't have enough RAM.
What *I'd* do with that 500GB is use a partition of it for a backup of the OS

More fool you. It makes a lot more sense to use the new drive
as the boot drive and use one of the other drives as the backup.
They are all plenty big enough to be the backup for the OS.
either a clone (which could be immediately booted)

Few need anything like that, because it happens so rarely, in practice never.
or an image file (which would need "restoration" before it could be booted, but which would be smaller than a clone).
But that would be only if you had to be up and
running in the shortest time on the same PC.
Otherwise, I'd imagine 500GBs are great for movie editing. :)

Your porn is your problem, child.

Timothy Daniels

Rod Speed said:
More fool you. It makes a lot more sense to use the new drive
as the boot drive and use one of the other drives as the backup.
They are all plenty big enough to be the backup for the OS.

It depends on how big the OP's OS partition is and how large
his data files are, isn't it sock puppet?

*TimDaniels*

Timothy Daniels

"Rod Speed" flailed:

Alzheimers sets into Roddel's brain - the OP already said:

"The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s
but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s I
will have to limit the drive through software."

Hey, RodBot - take your pills! <LOL>

*TimDaniels*

Rod Speed

Timothy Daniels said:
Rod Speed wrote
It depends on how big the OP's OS partition is

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist ****wit children ?

No OS partition is bigger than his smallest drive, even if you backup by cloning.
and how large his data files are

The size of the OS partition has absolutely NOTHING do with how large the data files are.

If there is enough free space on the new 500GB drive for the backup of the OS partition,
by definition there will also be if the new 500GB drive is used for the boot partition and
one of the smaller drives is used for the backup of the OS partition, stupid.

Rod Speed

Timothy Daniels said:
Rod Speed wrote
Alzheimers sets into Roddel's brain

We'll see, ****wit child.
- the OP already said:
"The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s I
will have to limit the drive through software."

Irrelevant to whether the new 500GB drive physical characteristics, particularly
the sectors per track mean that its faster than the older drives, ****wit child.

Timothy Daniels

Rod Speed said:
No OS partition is bigger than his smallest drive,
even if you backup by cloning.

Don't be a pathetic old babblebot, Roddels. If you
will review my posting, you will see that I suggested that
*one partition* be used for an OS clone. The rest of the
HD can be used for whatever the OP wants.

*TimDaniels*

Timothy Daniels

"Rod Speed" gurgled and choked:
Timothy Daniels wrote

Irrelevant to whether the new 500GB drive physical
characteristics, particularly the sectors per track mean
that its faster than the older drives, ****wit child.

Babble that in properly composed English grammar,
and we'll see if your brain isn't farting through your ears,
babblebot.

*TimDaniels*

Rod Speed

Some terminal ****wit claiming to be
Timothy Daniels (e-mail address removed)
desperately attempted to bullshit its way out of its
predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

Rod Speed

Some terminal ****wit claiming to be
Timothy Daniels (e-mail address removed)
desperately attempted to bullshit its way out of its
predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

Stretch

Timothy Daniels wrote in news:[email protected]
"Rod Speed" flailed:

Alzheimers sets into Roddel's brain - the OP already said:

"The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s
but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s
I will have to limit the drive through software."

Which merely proves that the OP is a clueless moron.
Hey, RodBot - take your pills! <LOL>

Alzheimers, huh. Practicing in front of the mirror again, Timmy?
Wotanidjut.

Timothy Daniels

"Stretch" gurgled:
Which merely proves that the OP is a clueless moron.

Alzheimers, huh. Practicing in front of the mirror again, Timmy?
Wotanidjut.

Another sock puppet joins Roddel's shelf. Why? Because
Roddel's sick operater NEEDS them.

*TimDaniels*

Lars

Previously said:
Which merely proves that the OP is a clueless moron.

This is what Hitachi has to say about it;

SATA Settings
WARNING!
SWITCHING YOUR DRIVE TO SUPPORT 3.0Gb/s OR ENABLING SPREAD SPECTRUM
CLOCKING ON YOUR DRIVE AND THEN USING IT IN A SYSTEM THAT CANNOT
SUPPORT THESE FUNCTIONS, MAY RENDER YOUR DRIVE UNUSABLE IN THAT
SYSTEM.
Early generation SATA drives where introduced supporting 1.5Gb/s
interface transfer speeds. Advances in technology have introduced a
new standard that can support transfer speeds of up to 3.0Gb/s.
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies SATA products (Deskstar 7K80
onwards) support up to 3.0Gb/s.
Unfortunately some Host controllers in the market have yet to support
the latest standard in it’s entirety, thus if drives set to support
these recent features were to be attached to those Hosts the drive may
not be able to boot. Only if you are completely confident that your
system supports either of these features should you consider setting
them.

Lars
Stockholm

Lars

Previously said:
Even just the boot should be noticeably faster if the new drive is.

Yes it does seem faster. But I have run in to a bunch of problems,
probably I am running out of power here. Mu PSU can deliver 315 W and
that may not be enough for 4 HD's, 2 DVD's, 2 extra cooling fans and
my ASUS 9600 XT.

At first everything seemed fine, but after a few reboots suddenly the
system would not Post, but only gave some beeps. Now it seems that the
graphics card has died entirely. Presently I am back to an old Matrox
card, awaiting a new ATI.

I ran HD-Tune 2.50 on the disks. Here is what it gave on average
transfer;

Both 160 GB disks; 47 MB/sec
The 250 GB disk; 52.6 MB/sec
The 500 GB disk; 78 MB/sec

Lars
Stockholm

Rod Speed

Yes it does seem faster. But I have run in to a bunch of problems,
probably I am running out of power here. Mu PSU can deliver 315 W
and that may not be enough for 4 HD's, 2 DVD's, 2 extra cooling fans
and my ASUS 9600 XT.

Yeah, likely that is the problem.

Some discard the smallest drive in the situation.
At first everything seemed fine, but after a few reboots suddenly
the system would not Post, but only gave some beeps. Now it
seems that the graphics card has died entirely. Presently I am
back to an old Matrox card, awaiting a new ATI.
I ran HD-Tune 2.50 on the disks. Here is what it gave on average transfer;
Both 160 GB disks; 47 MB/sec
The 250 GB disk; 52.6 MB/sec
The 500 GB disk; 78 MB/sec

Yeah, certainly worth making the new drive the boot drive.