Windows XP My Music

Reaction score
My computer has fliped its lid me thinks...My Acer that has the majority of my music on is playing silly buggers...Everytime I try access "My Music" folder all I get is the little search lite...It just keeps searching and searching...I left the computer for about 2 hours and came back and it was still searching...I can play music though iTunes, Winamp and Windows media Player no problem, but am just not able to accees the music folder....grrrrrr..Have tried doing a system restore, but the joys of XP won't let me restore..Keep getting a meassage saying "Windows was unable to restore to ......" Any ideas..?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I take it you've ran all the necessary Spyware and what not???

Why oh why do you have an Acer???????

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
I take it you've ran all the necessary Spyware and what not???

Why oh why do you have an Acer???????

Have run Super Anti Spyware, Spybot Search & Destroy, KIS adnd nowt has shown up...As for why do I have an Acer..?Well over the years of repairing them I have built up quite a collection, and used spares to build laptops...In all honesty, everybody slags Acer of saying how crap they are etc....THe only thing crap about Acer is the sh*t "Acer Empowering Technology" software that they install on their laptops..Remove this and keep your laptop uptodate and they are actually quite fine...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It would be best to use a Live CD that alows accessing nfts files as standard, such as Kanotix. Not sure which otheres do.

http://kanotix.com/changelang-eng.html

NTFS-3g used by default

Ther above is the program that allows you to do stuff with windows files.So look for a distro that includes that.

happywave.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Here's a mini HOWTO (I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 in VBox for fishing out a file from a VBox Win7 Beta install):

1. Boot with a LiveCD - choose "Try Ubuntu yada yada...":

2. Wait... booting from CD takes a while... then:

Volumes labeled "Media" are your Windoze partitions, external HD's USB sticks, whatnots. Here, "21.3 GB Media" is my Win7 partition. Open it... a file manager window opens. Just in case, choose "View --> Show Hidden Files". Navigate into your music folder. Here, I went to "My Pictures", and copied - dragged and dropped - "highlite.png" into a USB stick. (1.0GB Media):

Easy as that. Really.
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys..Problem Solved...Turns out I had a severly FUBAR'd registry...Went here and followed the steps and did a registry repair...I have been playing with a mates laptop that has Linux Mint on it...As son as BT connect me Broadband on Wednesday I am going to make the switch from Windows....

Ask a Question