My internet connection keeps grinding to a halt

Barry

Hi,

I have a P4 with 512Mbs of RAM, running Windows XP home edition.
Recently I have noticed that after half an hour of so on the net, my
connection will gradually grind to a halt and I will have to restart
my PC to rectify the problem. I have noticed that even if I dont run
IE, there is still an iexplorer process running on my PC, and when I
kill it using task manager, it will reappear. I am running Norton
version 5 on my PC, but unfortunately when I attempt an Internet
update, I get the error - unexpected error returned from library -
Context internet stage 1 - Routine: NufFetchObject...

Anyway I have tried a few of the online virus scans and I have
quarantined sasser and netsky on my PC over the last month. I have
updated my operating system via the Automatic Updates utility. I have
also run AdAware.

So when I surf the net using Opera of Netscape, after a while I will
start getting prompted with "Can't connect to server" messages
regardless to whichever browser I use. At first, when I can retry the
webpage a few times, and it will eventually open. But after a while
the browser will continuously fail to open webpages. If I use IE, the
problem happens much quicker.

It sounds to me that some process, maybe that iexplorer process, is
eating up more and more of my bandwidth once I make an internet
connection.

Any solutions or software recommendations? Is there any software which
will allow me to monitor which process are utilizing my bandwidth?
BTW, my internet connection is via a 56K modem.

Thanks,

Barry.

Jim Macklin

Firewall?
SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.3

| Any ideas folks?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Barry.
|
| (e-mail address removed) (Barry) wrote in message
| > Hi,
| >
| > I have a P4 with 512Mbs of RAM, running Windows XP home
edition.
| > Recently I have noticed that after half an hour of so on
the net, my
| > connection will gradually grind to a halt and I will
have to restart
| > my PC to rectify the problem. I have noticed that even
if I dont run
| > IE, there is still an iexplorer process running on my
PC, and when I
| > kill it using task manager, it will reappear. I am
running Norton
| > version 5 on my PC, but unfortunately when I attempt an
Internet
| > update, I get the error - unexpected error returned
from library -
| > Context internet stage 1 - Routine: NufFetchObject...
| >
| > Anyway I have tried a few of the online virus scans and
I have
| > quarantined sasser and netsky on my PC over the last
month. I have
| > updated my operating system via the Automatic Updates
utility. I have
| > also run AdAware.
| >
| > So when I surf the net using Opera of Netscape, after a
while I will
| > start getting prompted with "Can't connect to server"
messages
| > regardless to whichever browser I use. At first, when I
can retry the
| > webpage a few times, and it will eventually open. But
after a while
| > the browser will continuously fail to open webpages. If
I use IE, the
| > problem happens much quicker.
| >
| > It sounds to me that some process, maybe that iexplorer
process, is
| > eating up more and more of my bandwidth once I make an
internet
| > connection.
| >
| > Any solutions or software recommendations? Is there any
software which
| > will allow me to monitor which process are utilizing my
bandwidth?
| > BTW, my internet connection is via a 56K modem.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Barry.

R. McCarty

Open Task Manager, Click "Networking" Tab and minimize.
As the networking starts to lag look at the graph and see if
network usage is peaking.
If you aren't running a Firewall program, I'd suggest you get
one. Also use MsConfig and trim back your startups &
watchdog applications.
As routine maintenance, I would clean out all your cache
folders for all your browsers and check their default size.