My CPU fan failed


H

Harry

I have an xp2200+ athlon cpu. I have 2 exhaust fans near the cpu.
After using my pc for about 10 minutes it froze. I rebooted. It froze on
booting Windows.

I went into the bios, I thought maybe a voltage problem.
I saw the chip core temp of 90 degrees and falling.
I also noticed that there was no overheat shutdown protection enabled. I
fixed that.

When I opened my case, I saw that the fan had failed. So I replaced fan.

My system powers up just fine now, It works without a problem.
Chip surface temp normally Idles around 30 degrees.
I ran cpu burn and got it to 45 degrees.

Still no problems.

Do you think I got away without damaging my CPU ?



thanks
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

kyi

Harry said:
I have an xp2200+ athlon cpu. I have 2 exhaust fans near the cpu.
After using my pc for about 10 minutes it froze. I rebooted. It froze on
booting Windows.

I went into the bios, I thought maybe a voltage problem.
I saw the chip core temp of 90 degrees and falling.
I also noticed that there was no overheat shutdown protection enabled. I
fixed that.

When I opened my case, I saw that the fan had failed. So I replaced fan.

My system powers up just fine now, It works without a problem.
Chip surface temp normally Idles around 30 degrees.
I ran cpu burn and got it to 45 degrees.

Still no problems.

Do you think I got away without damaging my CPU ?



thanks
Sounds fine. Was there a lot of dust build up or did the fan just die? A
good high quality fan will last longer then a cheapie. Learned that lesson
my self.

J Garrell
 
H

Harry

kyi said:
Sounds fine. Was there a lot of dust build up or did the fan just die? A
good high quality fan will last longer then a cheapie. Learned that lesson
my self.

J Garrell

Just a cheapie fan. It was stopped. I touched it and it began to spin.

once turning it was ok. If I stopped it by hand, it would turn again except
for one point.

there seemed to be a dead spot where it would not turn again unless moved
manually.

When I last powered off it must have landed right in that spot.

it's in the bin now

I didn't fancy the cpu letting me down in the future, thats why I tried that
cpu burn program to try and stress my chip.

It passes ok.

thanks
 
M

mr deo

As long as the HS is attached and your running at default settings, it will
likely be okay....
You might have taken a few years life off of it ;).. but who cares if it's
running in 2020 vs 2030 eh?
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Kaptain cirk

mr deo said:
As long as the HS is attached and your running at default settings, it will
likely be okay....
You might have taken a few years life off of it ;).. but who cares if it's
running in 2020 vs 2030 eh?
I run it at slightly lower voltage, but not overclocked.

It was a year or 2 ago when I set it up. I seem to remember that knocking
..05 volts off lowered the chip temp quite a bit.

Its rock solid and stable. Windoze 98 second edition and all is well

It usually sits 10-15 above ambient

system temp is usually 20 above ambient.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

CPU fan 2
CPU fan problems 4
amd64 cpu fail 5
my cpu 1
terrible CPU or CPU fan noise on some startups - BIOS alteration? 4
CPU fan speed running low low low! 2
fan 2
Identifying my cpu(s) 3

Top