My computer won't shut down.

Frank Martin

Recently when I turn off my computer it shuts
down as usual but then starts up again after
about 5 seconds.

I keeps doing this.

So I have to switch the power off at the
back.

Then, the next morning it takes a long time
to turn on.

How can I fix this. Please help.

Uncle Grumpy

Frank Martin said:
Then, the next morning it takes a long time
to turn on.

LEAVE it on. Turn off the monitor.

Can't remember the last time I shut off a computer. I leave the
things running 24x7

Menno Hershberger

LEAVE it on. Turn off the monitor.

Can't remember the last time I shut off a computer. I leave the
things running 24x7

I do too, if you don't count the 2 or 3 times a day it crashes... :)

Frank Martin

"Uncle Grumpy" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
LEAVE it on. Turn off the monitor.

Can't remember the last time I shut off a
computer. I leave the
things running 24x7

I always thought it needed a rest in the hot
weather, when the fan really roars.

Gary S. Terhune

That's unacceptable. If your system requires rebooting for any reason other
than software installation or some Windows configuration issues, then your
system needs a lot more attention than you're giving it. My systems go weeks
or even months without a reboot.

Or were you really only joking?

Rock

But won't this wear out the little bearings in the HDD?

It's a long running debate - shut off vs keep running 24/7. I'm not going
to weigh in on what's best. Environmental factors should be taken into
account. Stress on components is greatest during power up. You can never
completely prevent hardware faillure. One of the best ways to deal with
this issue is to always have a full and complete backup. Drive imaging is
an excellent way to protect against data loss and minimize down time.

For heat issues keep the interior clean, fans fee of dust. Use a utility to
monitor temps on the motherboard / cpu and drives.

Bob I

PD43 said:
I've been running PCs for 18 years that way and have yet to lose a
hard drive to worn out bearings, or to lose a power supply or CPU to
over heating.

I had the bearings wear out on a 10 mb Micropolis drive, of course it
ran for 8 years, 24/7 before it gave up.

Lem

wrote in message

I always thought it needed a rest in the hot
weather, when the fan really roars.

That reminds me of the time I was installing one of the early
computerized bond trading systems on a minicomputer back in the early
70s. Not being familiar with computers, the customer (a large bank) had
put all of the computer equipment in a small un-airconditioned closet,
and the tape drive kept failing. The only way we could get the thing to
run for any length of time so we could debug the installation was to get
a cup of Coke from a vending machine, drink the Coke but leave the ice,
and then put the ice-filled cup on the drive's electronics. The bank
eventually did get a/c into the closet.

Menno Hershberger

That's unacceptable. If your system requires rebooting for any reason
other than software installation or some Windows configuration issues,
then your system needs a lot more attention than you're giving it. My
systems go weeks or even months without a reboot.

Or were you really only joking?

Well, yes and no. I run way too much stuff at once. I don't practice what I
preach. If I beat it hard enough, long enough, it seems that the memory
(2Gb) gets bogged down. When this happens, I have one program that won't
open at all, and others that are slowed down noticeably. A reboot always
cures it.
Truth of the matter is I dual boot Vista on this machine and on the days I
choose to play around in Vista (weekends, usually) it gets rebooted anyway.
I have another XP machine that is running a web server, email, news, ftp,
and other novelties that stays up forever.