multiple user machine repeated infections

Reaction score
Hi there...

first time post on here, sorry if i'm requesting info that might have already been covered. If so, please highlight any links you know of which i'll glady follow:)

I built and maintain a machine for a colleague. Standard home user machine, XP home SP3, 5 desktops currently all with admin priviledges. After repeated infections which generally end up with having to format the drive and build again I am at a loss as to what else I can do to keep their machine running smoothly.

I always have used Avast, spybot and windows firewall (i use these on my own machine and have no problems at all).

The machine is currently infected with various instances of Virtumonde and other generic Win32 trojans. No amount of fixing will get the machine clean. I have gone thru all the scanners, reg editing etc that I know and still cannot get rid of the infections, tricksy little blighters that they are.

Without initally going into loads of detail, I have tried setting shedules for all AV etc software to update itself, raised privacy settings, all the usual stuff you would do.

Using the event viewer I have tracked down when the infections started this time, and have narrowed it down to a user visiting an unreputable web site, and getting either a pop under or a dodgy active x control. Searching the local settings folder showed a fake security centre with attached .bat files which I am guessing were responsible for shutting down Avasts resident scanner.

Anyone got any tips for increasing the levels of security whilst still allowing users to have reasonable levels of access under their priviledges to install programs, read/write files etc?

Regards
WB

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You cannot combat stupidity ... raise the call-out-price to "repair" the PC every time you have to go there. :D

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like the person using the PC's needs to understand how they keep infecting the PC :nod: Not visiting dodgy sites sounds like a start! ;)

I don't think there is much else you can do from the software side :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks, sorry for the delay in getting back to you:blush:

Madxgraphics - heard a lot about kaspersky, will look in to it.

muckshifter, Ian - yeah pretty much what i thought...just feels kinda patronising to sit adults down and say dont click this etc...haha oh well

kind regards for your time

WB :)

Ask a Question