Multiple pointer entry`s for pc`s

i noticed the the reverse entrys for the client pc`s are double or more in
the dns.
The primary dns server is in the root domain. (e.g. domain.org)
The secondary zone is in a child domain where all client pc`s (and users
accounts) are.(test.domain.org).
Dhcp is configured in the root domain and in the child domain.

Dhcp Options
Automaticly update client information in dns
DHcp update only if dhcp client request

The clients are windows 2000 and windows xp.
Why are the pointers double in dns and how can we avoid this?

regards

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on my knowledge, Pointer (PTR) RRs are used to support the reverse
lookup process, based on zones created and rooted in the in-addr.arpa
domain. These records are used to locate a computer by its IP address and
resolve this information to the DNS domain name for that computer.

As far as I know, PTR RRs can be added to a zone in several ways:

1. You can manually create a PTR RR for a static TCP/IP client computer
using the DNS, either as a separate procedure or as part of the procedure
for creating an A RR. For related information, please refer to this article:
Add a pointer (PTR) resource record to a reverse zone
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serv
erHelp/16f563ee-5658-42f9-877e-7fae65026af1.mspx>

2. Computers use the DHCP Client service to dynamically register and update
their PTR RR in DNS when an IP configuration change occurs.

3. All other DHCP-enabled client computers can have their PTR RRs
registered and updated by the DHCP server if they obtain their IP lease
from a qualified server. The Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 DHCP
Server service provides this capability.

The pointer (PTR) resource record is used only in reverse lookup zones to
support reverse lookup. For more information, you may refer to see Resource
records reference from the following link:
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serv
erHelp/7b005a9b-4397-4d94-a584-34c037e2457c.mspx>

To delete pointer record, you may use the following command in command line:
dnscmd /recorddelete 10.168.192.in-appr.arpa 112 PRT /y
deletes pointer record --> 10.192.168.112

Delete a resource record from a zone
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serv
erHelp/9b561e1b-9a0d-43e5-89a8-9daf07afac0d.mspx>

More reference:
====================
Using DNS servers with DHCP
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?url=/window
s2000/en/server/help/sag_DHCP_imp_InteroperabilityDNS.htm>

246804: How to enable or disable DNS updates in Windows 2000 and in Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246804/en-us

816592: How to configure DNS dynamic updates in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816592

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Multiple pointer entry`s for pc`s
| Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:03:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|
| Hi,
|
| i noticed the the reverse entrys for the client pc`s are double or more
in
| the dns.
| The primary dns server is in the root domain. (e.g. domain.org)
| The secondary zone is in a child domain where all client pc`s (and users
| accounts) are.(test.domain.org).
| Dhcp is configured in the root domain and in the child domain.
|
| Dhcp Options
| Automaticly update client information in dns
| DHcp update only if dhcp client request
|
| The clients are windows 2000 and windows xp.
| Why are the pointers double in dns and how can we avoid this?
|
| regards

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Rex Kremer said:
Hi,

i noticed the the reverse entrys for the client pc`s are double or
more in the dns.
The primary dns server is in the root domain. (e.g. domain.org)
The secondary zone is in a child domain where all client pc`s (and
users accounts) are.(test.domain.org).
Dhcp is configured in the root domain and in the child domain.

Dhcp Options
Automaticly update client information in dns
DHcp update only if dhcp client request

The clients are windows 2000 and windows xp.
Why are the pointers double in dns and how can we avoid this?

What do you mean by double? Does each Machine register two PTRs?

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. said:
What do you mean by double? Does each Machine register two PTRs?

Yes thats right.A few pc`s have 2 or 3 ptr entry`s.Each with a different ip
address.
The pc got an (only 1 nic is installed in each pc) ip address via dhcp.
I think that the ptr record is not updating itself and creates a new one.
What can cause this behaviour?

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Rex Kremer said:
Yes thats right.A few pc`s have 2 or 3 ptr entry`s.Each with a
different ip address.
The pc got an (only 1 nic is installed in each pc) ip address via
dhcp.
I think that the ptr record is not updating itself and creates a
new one. What can cause this behaviour?

That clarifies it a bit, are these PTRs for laptops?

Is the DHCP server Win2k or Win2k3?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Rex,

Could you copy/paste the output of IPconfig /all and nslookup commands
here? What is the OS of DHCP server?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Multiple pointer entry`s for pc`s
| Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 05:02:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|

| "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:
|
| > > Hi,
| > >
| > > i noticed the the reverse entrys for the client pc`s are double or
| > > more in the dns.
| > > The primary dns server is in the root domain. (e.g. domain.org)
| > > The secondary zone is in a child domain where all client pc`s (and
| > > users accounts) are.(test.domain.org).
| > > Dhcp is configured in the root domain and in the child domain.
| > >
| > > Dhcp Options
| > > Automaticly update client information in dns
| > > DHcp update only if dhcp client request
| > >
| > > The clients are windows 2000 and windows xp.
| > > Why are the pointers double in dns and how can we avoid this?
| >

| > What do you mean by double? Does each Machine register two PTRs?
|
| Yes thats right.A few pc`s have 2 or 3 ptr entry`s.Each with a different
ip
| address.
| The pc got an (only 1 nic is installed in each pc) ip address via dhcp.
| I think that the ptr record is not updating itself and creates a new
one.
| What can cause this behaviour?
| >

| > --
| > Best regards,
| > Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
| > Hope This Helps
| > ===================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
| > via your newsreader so that others may learn and
| > benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
| > me remove the nospam. from my email address.
| > ===================================
| > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
| > http://support.wftx.us/
| > https://secure.lsaol.com/
| > ===================================
| > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
| > It will strip signature out and more
| > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
| > ===================================
| > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
| > with OEBackup:
| > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
| > ===================================

@kevin: no these are normal pc`s.The strange thing is that not every pc has
multiple prt entrys just a few have 2 or 3 entrys.
I have deltet the pc`s ptr records and after a week(?) they have 2 or 3 ptr
records.
When i am doing a nslookup on a pc that has 2 ptr records it gives me both
ip addresses back.One ip is the current ip the other is an "old" one which
can be occupied by another pc.When i am conecting via name i can never tell
which pc i am currently on because it chooses one (of the two) ip addresses.

The dns server is w2k server.

@ken:nslookup like i did above? can you please be more specific what pc or
server do you mean.

Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto

Hi,

i noticed the the reverse entrys for the client pc`s are
double or more in
the dns.
The primary dns server is in the root domain. (e.g.
domain.org)
The secondary zone is in a child domain where all client pc`s
(and users
accounts) are.(test.domain.org).
Dhcp is configured in the root domain and in the child domain.

Dhcp Options
Automaticly update client information in dns
DHcp update only if dhcp client request

The clients are windows 2000 and windows xp.
Why are the pointers double in dns and how can we avoid this?

regards

you might want to enable scavenging on a DNS server and aging on the
zones

read the following for more info:
http://searchwinsystems.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid68_gci1040355,00.html

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Rex,

Yes, nslookup like you did reply to Kevin.

I mean the machine has more than two PTR records and the DNS server.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Multiple pointer entry`s for pc`s
| Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 01:29:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|
| @kevin: no these are normal pc`s.The strange thing is that not every pc
has
| multiple prt entrys just a few have 2 or 3 entrys.
| I have deltet the pc`s ptr records and after a week(?) they have 2 or 3
ptr
| records.
| When i am doing a nslookup on a pc that has 2 ptr records it gives me
both
| ip addresses back.One ip is the current ip the other is an "old" one
which
| can be occupied by another pc.When i am conecting via name i can never
tell
| which pc i am currently on because it chooses one (of the two) ip
addresses.

| The dns server is w2k server.
|
| @ken:nslookup like i did above? can you please be more specific what pc
or
| server do you mean.
|
| "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Rex,
| >
| > Could you copy/paste the output of IPconfig /all and nslookup commands
| > here? What is the OS of DHCP server?
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmV4IEtyZW1lcg==?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Multiple pointer entry`s for pc`s
| > | Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 05:02:01 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:
| > |

| > |
| > | Yes thats right.A few pc`s have 2 or 3 ptr entry`s.Each with a
different
| > ip
| > | address.
| > | The pc got an (only 1 nic is installed in each pc) ip address via
dhcp.
| > | I think that the ptr record is not updating itself and creates a
new
| > one.
| > | What can cause this behaviour?

| > |