Multilingual support (repost)

Jim Adams

Anyone have any insights into this?

I'm planning an upgrade to an existing ASP.Net project to support
multiple display languages (e.g. English, Spanish, ...).

I'd like to use a solution that will allow me to develop web pages
with English text, and then switch languages in the Visual Studio
interface and translate into a second language.

Is there a website that shows how to accomplish this or any seamless
third-party addins?

Will Whidbey provide additional multilingual support in its design
environment? If so, then maybe I should wait until it's released.

Thanks,

Jim

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

clintonG

Its all in the framework already. Since your one of the more
intelligent persons that have chosen to use Visual Studio.NET
(despite its shortcomings) you'll find it much easier to design
and develop a localized application.

Google: "localization"+"asp.net"

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com

Jim Adams

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your tip. About 7 years ago, we did a multilingual ASP
site with pages filled with cryptic entries like:

Response.Write(TextItem("001"))

It made page design very unpleasant. In Microsoft's ASP.Net example
link that you've provided, their solution is:

<%# m_rm.GetString("home") %>

Content is dynamically from one of several resource files, but there
is no Visual Studio UI that shows what the page will look like. This
techniques has barely progressed in 7 years!!!

Since page controls have a unique ID, couldn't we toggle a page
property to a particular language, and have Visual Studio (or a third
party addin) dynamically pull in the appropriate resource and allow us
to design in that language? For entries that have not been
translated, it could default to English (or whatever resource was
marked as default) so at least there is a starting point.

Will this capability be in Whidbey, or is there a 3rd party addin that
can help out here?

Thanks,

Jim

Lau Lei Cheong

Just some silly thoughts(They just pop in my mind without thinking
carefully).

Perhaps you can place all your elements in a table then loop through and
replace each cells when user changes language.

So the page will not be changed if in English and you can see the page
layout in the web designer.

However, you've been warned that this may wreck havoc regarding viewstate
and cortrol tree in runtime so be sure to test throughly if you choose this
approach.

Jim Adams said:
[...]

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Hi Jim,

.NET already has a good way of handling globalization. You create your pages
in one language and then use resource files for the translations. There's a
utility that helps you create the translations.

Here's a good summary with ASP.NET examples later in the article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/aspnet-globalarchi.asp?frame=true

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...-us/cpguide/html/cpconresourcesinasppages.asp

Ken