Multi install Vista

GrahamH

Hi,
will Vista allow me to install itself again on the same pc without any
isssues.
Before vista i had XP installed on the Primary and also extended partition
with a total of 3 XP choices to multi-boot.
This would alow me to split XP for different uses, ie. Games/Test/ etc. That
way i could avoid making backups for my gaming partition, which are becoming
larger these days with modern games.
Currently my new system has XP installed on the 2nd Primary and also XP
installed on an extended partion for testing purposes.
I have Vista installed on the 1st Primary.
I use Paragon boot manager to switch primary`s.
So i have available 1 partition left. If i create an extended partition
under Vista primary could i install Vista again so that i could use this for
Games.
I have an image of my current Vista including SP1 without any software
installed, so could i use that for my 2nd Vista.
I guess i would need to add a bootmanager for the 2nd Vista installation as
Paragon only switches Primary partitions and relies on the o/s multiboot
option to boot the o/s in the extended partition.
Hope it all makes sense?
Thanks.
Graham.....

John Barnett MVP

If you are using the 'same' copy of Vista then you will run into activation
problems; you also would invalidate the EULA (End User Licence Agreement) as
you also appear to have done with Windows XP (unless I have read you post
incorrectly.)

If Vista is installed (or xp) two three or even four times (or more) on your
machine then you need a licence for 'each' and every copy. You cannot,
legally, install the same licensed copy multiple times.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

GrahamH

"John Barnett MVP" wrote in message
If you are using the 'same' copy of Vista then you will run into
activation problems; you also would invalidate the EULA (End User Licence
Agreement) as you also appear to have done with Windows XP (unless I have
read you post incorrectly.)

If Vista is installed (or xp) two three or even four times (or more) on
your machine then you need a licence for 'each' and every copy. You
cannot, legally, install the same licensed copy multiple times.
Thankyou for your reply, as there would be activation problems i guess i
will have to stick with using the one installation of Vista.
Also from the licence point of view this Sucks. I cannot for the like of me
see why more than 1 install would require extra licences. I can only boot to
one partition at a time and its also on one pc, so seems rediculous to me
especially for personal useage. I can see why people move to linux.
I reckon in the future i`ll install Linux for main apps and buy a games
consul for gaming.!!!!!!!!!!
Just my point of view, but i think Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot
unless it changes the way it licences its software.
Maybe i should drag the old Apple II out of the cupboard, if it still works
LOL.

Thankyou.
Regards,
Graham..

John Barnett MVP

Graham,

As far as the EULA is concerned each partition holding the operating system
is classed as an individual machine (the same applies to Virtual Machine
software). I have a copy of Vista Ultimate on my machine and I run a copy of
Vista Ultimate on a Virtual Machine (VMware Workstation) used for testing.
Both have their own product keys and are therefore classed as separate
entities. In the eyes of the EULA I am using two computers.

It is the same as application software you can only use it on one machine,
so, for example, say you dual boot Windows Vista and XP and you purchased
Adobe Photoshop. You could install your copy of Photoshop on either Vista or
XP but not both. If you wanted it Vista and XP you would need to buy two
copies.

John Barnett MVP said:
As far as the EULA is concerned each partition holding the operating
system is classed as an individual machine (the same applies to Virtual
Machine software). I have a copy of Vista Ultimate on my machine and I run
a copy of Vista Ultimate on a Virtual Machine (VMware Workstation) used
for testing. Both have their own product keys and are therefore classed as
separate entities. In the eyes of the EULA I am using two computers.
I dont mind the idea of paying extra for another licence but at what cost,
im not a Company with large amounts of money available. Im a home user that
likes to play around with pc`s.
John Barnett MVP"
It is the same as application software you can only use it on one machine,
so, for example, say you dual boot Windows Vista and XP and you purchased
Adobe Photoshop. You could install your copy of Photoshop on either Vista
or XP but not both. If you wanted it Vista and XP you would need to buy
two copies.
Do you honestly think people would buy 2 copies of Photoshop when 1 copy
would install on both partitions, i think not.!!!!
I think what is needed is for Vista and other Software to be available for
installing to multiple pc`s so i can buy 1 Vista DVD and install it on say
3pc`s, at a mimimal extra cost, which is what a lot of families would want.
I purchased Bitdefender internet security which allows me to install on up
to 3 pc`s. so i did`nt have to purchase 3 copies and spend a fortune.
Why cant vista do the same.

Regards,
Graham. ....

Donald L McDaniel

I dont mind the idea of paying extra for another licence but at what cost,
im not a Company with large amounts of money available. Im a home user that
likes to play around with pc`s.
Do you honestly think people would buy 2 copies of Photoshop when 1 copy
would install on both partitions, i think not.!!!!
I think what is needed is for Vista and other Software to be available for
installing to multiple pc`s so i can buy 1 Vista DVD and install it on say
3pc`s, at a mimimal extra cost, which is what a lot of families would want.
I purchased Bitdefender internet security which allows me to install on up
to 3 pc`s. so i did`nt have to purchase 3 copies and spend a fortune.
Why cant vista do the same.

Regards,
Graham. ....

In answer to your last question, "Why can't Vista do the same?"

1) Vista can, but Microsoft chooses not to do it in consumer licenses.
2) It IS possible if one uses a Technet license, and perfectly legal.
3) a TEchnet license costs $399 (downloads only), for which one can
get 10 licenses per membership. BTW, such a license is a Volume
License. I use a single CD key for multiple installs. Never had
problems with Windows Activation yet. Additionally, one also gets
Office 2007 Professional Plus, same licensing terms, along with many
other Microsoft products, as well as access to Microsoft betas,
including Windows 7 (when released).

Donald

GrahamH

Donald L McDaniel said:
In answer to your last question, "Why can't Vista do the same?"

1) Vista can, but Microsoft chooses not to do it in consumer licenses.
2) It IS possible if one uses a Technet license, and perfectly legal.
3) a TEchnet license costs $399 (downloads only), for which one can
get 10 licenses per membership. BTW, such a license is a Volume
License. I use a single CD key for multiple installs. Never had
problems with Windows Activation yet. Additionally, one also gets
Office 2007 Professional Plus, same licensing terms, along with many
other Microsoft products, as well as access to Microsoft betas,
including Windows 7 (when released).

Donald

Thankyou for replying Donald,
interesting but beyond my budget, lol.
It is just all getting to be so expensive and i doubt the new Windows 7 will
be any better.
I still like Microsoft o/s and have been using them since early Dos days but
when you have more than 1 PC to keep running its a bit costly for a home
user.
Regards,
Graham...

Donald L McDaniel

Thankyou for replying Donald,
interesting but beyond my budget, lol.
It is just all getting to be so expensive and i doubt the new Windows 7 will
be any better.
I still like Microsoft o/s and have been using them since early Dos days but
when you have more than 1 PC to keep running its a bit costly for a home
user.
Regards,
Graham...

Which is why I suggested the TEchnet+ license. For the price of a
single REtail OS you get 10 licenses to Vista+10 licenses to Office
2007 Pro Plus

Don

Donald L McDaniel

Hi Graham,

Donald - thanks for the info.

That sounds like a good deal - isn't just one retail copy of a Vista
Ultimate the same price, i.e. $399 ? Do you need to buy a retail copy
first and then get the Technet license ?

I already have my copy of Vista, but might look into that before buying
a copy of 7.

SIW2

It's not necessary to have a previous copy of Windows to take
advantage of the deal.

Whether Microsoft will have the same price structure for Technet+ when
7 is released to the GP, I don't know. All I know is that for the
price of a single retail license, one gets "beau coup" software with a
TEchnet+ license. Just remember that you would get no media. Just
access to ISOs of Windows, Server, and Office, plus Express editions
of the development tools, and Betas of all as they are released.

Donald