MSN Messenger + Win Messenger = NO VIDEO / AUDIO

G

Ok. I understand that there are multiple messenging platforms. But WHY do the two 'flavors' from MS not work together? Also, what's the recommended path - remove MS Messenger and install MSN? Since anyone who is not running XP cannot have messenger, I am assuming that this is the only option - is that true? THANKS!

G

Matt,

I feel your pain...I posted a question also about why and what the differences are between the two. It is overly confusing.

Anyway, if you want to get the Microsoft Messenger 4.x removed correctly (based on the normal install of XP) then here is what you do:

- Add or Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components | uncheck Messenger
- also run the following command if you have installed XP Service Pack 1:
Start button | Run | type "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove"
Just click OK if any error pops up, then you will see a progress bar appear shortly as it deletes its files and it will then ask you to reboot. After the reboot the program will be gone.

Hope this helps

Shane Hairston

----- Matt Trimmer wrote: -----

Ok. I understand that there are multiple messenging platforms. But WHY do the two 'flavors' from MS not work together? Also, what's the recommended path - remove MS Messenger and install MSN? Since anyone who is not running XP cannot have messenger, I am assuming that this is the only option - is that true? THANKS!

B

Bob Ross

Interesting comment. In my case, after intermittent connections with MSN
Messenger, the way I connect with my brother in the UK is with him on MSN
Messenger, and me on WIndows Messenger! From my problems, it seems to be
interaction of other installed program components which causes the com
failure.

Bob

Matt Trimmer said:
Ok. I understand that there are multiple messenging platforms. But WHY
do the two 'flavors' from MS not work together? Also, what's the
recommended path - remove MS Messenger and install MSN? Since anyone who is