MSMSGS.EXE ( MS Messenger )

G

I just don't trust any program that attempts to access the internet several times a minute, without my blessing, under the guise of "chat". What is the procedure for disabling this program ? I can't find it in any Start or Startup folder. Also, are there any known viruses that may have infected "Messenger" which would account for this behavior. I've run Symantec's Antivirus and found nothing . . . What would happen if I just ended the "process" using CTRL/ALT/DELETE ? ( WinXP )

Thanx

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Click Start, Run and enter:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Additionally, if you use the Contacts pane in Outlook Express, you will want to make one change to the system Registry.

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2. This step is needed to prevent a long delay in opening OE if you use the Contacts pane.

For an automated method of doing this, see my web site, www.dougknox.com, go to the Win XP Fixes section and follow the link for Windows Messenger - Remove

This is a valid Windows program, and if you use it, it will communicate with the servers to determine who is online, who's not and to ensure your status is up to date.

Ask a Question