.msi for antispyware

Curious

Is there a .MSI and method for presetting install options
to test Group Policy Installation?

Bill Sanderson

In a word, no.

at least, not yet.

There is a message in this group from one user who has created a way to
distribute the installation via SMS--search for messages from Alexey
Semibratov.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

And just to reiterate on the topic. If you install the product in a managed
environment, end users can block scripts which the domain admin wants to
run on an end user's computer. See the following article
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892375) on this issue and workarounds.
Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security

originated.

Bill Sanderson

Thanks, Steve--I'll remember to include that citation in my responses for
this issue.

"Steve Dodson [MSFT]" said:
And just to reiterate on the topic. If you install the product in a
managed
environment, end users can block scripts which the domain admin wants to
run on an end user's computer. See the following article
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892375) on this issue and workarounds.
Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security

rights.

originated.
--------------------
From: "Bill Sanderson" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: .msi for antispyware
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:08:20 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.install

In a word, no.

at least, not yet.

There is a message in this group from one user who has created a way to
distribute the installation via SMS--search for messages from Alexey
Semibratov.

Mark

Actually that's not entirely acurate:

Obviously there is an MSI within the EXE installer which
you can extract if you know how. Also you can create a
TRANSFORM file from packaging studios such as "WISE for
Windows Installer" and Microsoft's utility "AdminStudio
6.0 SMS Edition". They should allow to configure the
options for install in an MST (Transform) to use with the
MSI at install.

Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Regards

Mark

Bill Sanderson

You're absolutely right--and there are folks in this group who've done that,
including those I referenced.

That was badly worded--what I meant was that there were no provisions for
control via Group Policy in this version.

Additionally, anyone in an enterprise environment should be aware of the
issue addressed in this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892375 End users may be prompted to allow or
block administrative actions that originate from a central management tool
after they install Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) on a computer that is managed
by Systems Management Server 2003