Msi core centre alarm is, well alarming...

Reaction score
Hello all, I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. I installed MSI Core centre on my new computer as i thought it would be good to have some kind of monitoring software but everytime i boot up the core centre alarm goes off - the temps and fan speeds are well below the alarm thresholds so this is a tad confusing. I've checked the temps/fans with other programs and they agree with core centre's values. This does not occur if the pc has only been off a short while only if booting after a long period of being off.

Is core centre worth having? are there better alternatives? i know its a bit of a random one :)

Another quick question - I ran PCmark05 and got 3673, does this sound reasonable? (spec below, all at stock speeds, vid driver v.78.01) i've not done any benchmarking before so i don't really have a frame of reference and i'd like to have an idea of the systems relative speed.

Athlon 3500+ (2.2GHz) venice
novatech 128MB 6600GT PCIe
MSI K8N neo-f
1G OCZ value ram

Any help greatly appreciated :)

cheers - Chris

(edit - sorry, this prob should have been in the support bit - oopsie)

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
im not familiar with core centre so im just guessing but is there a monitor for your PSU ?, sometimes the voltages drop outside of the range that the alarm is set to, may be worth looking at it happened to me on ASUS Probe

the only alternative i know of is motherboard monitor 5

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm a great MSI motherboard fan ... but them 'utilities' are really rubbish.

Don't for christ's sake use their 'Live Update' it will more than likely fail, or worse, update to older stuff.

Naw, bin them and use something else ... motherboard monitor is thought to be good, but I could never get it to work with any MSI board I had.

Just peak in on the BIOS from time to time.

As for 'benchies' ... no time for them either ... if the system does what I want it to do when I want it, then that will do me.

;)

Reaction score
cheers guys, there is not as far as i can see a psu monitor on it, just the voltages on the cpu and other bits (its not explained very well even in the downloaded manual). I think i will just get rid of it.

I felt a bit secure in the knowledge that there was an alarm if things got a bit hot but i guess the bios would shut down/slow things if it got a bit too toasty in there anyway?

ta - chris

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If you want you could try speedfan

Tells you all about the temps, fan speeds, SMART and voltages.
You can leave it minimised in the tray, and it takes up almost no resources. :thumb:

mainwindow.gif

(The abover Screen shot taken from the Website)

I use it myself and think it works very well IMO :)

Reaction score
oooo, that does look rather good :) Def looks neater than msi's clunky over the top graphical affair, I shall give it a bash - cheers dude!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I had probs with the version 2.26, currently using 2.20 i think... (Aint at home so cannot check.)

Just make sureits comaptable with your mb. But i doubt you'll have any problems. :thumb: