Word MS Word 2003 in Win7 normal.dot where?

Reaction score
Looking at other posts, I do not have Adobe Pro installed. However, every time I open a new document I must change font and margins. When I do, I choose Default for the template to be updated. Is there something about Win7 that stops changes to normal.dot? Thanks.

Reaction score
There shouldn't be anything to cause a problem with it. If you think your normal template may be corrupt, you can change the DOT to OLD to have Word create a new one. In Windows 7, I believe it is in C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates. I don't have Office 2003 any more to check that out myself, but there should be no restriction to modifying the default template. You could try making the changes you want to a new, blank document, and then saving it as a template with a different name. Then, close Word and replace your normal template with the new file. I know this is a big jumble, let me know if it helps!

Reaction score
I've tried all ways I can think of to find the path. C:\Users\myname\ exists but there is no "Application Data" or "AppData" path. I've tried from within Word and from the desktop. I've tried search for Application Data and AppData without success. All directories should be displayed acc to my options. Win7 doesn't seem to have an "Explore" option.
Thanks, Pete

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Win7 doesn't seem to have an "Explore" option.
you press the 'globe' start button and you see a flashing cursor with the words, "Search programs and files" ... I know nothing about MS Word. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I discovered that by typing %appdata% at that flashing pointer, I can get into the "Roaming" directory where I found several files called Normal (my attempts plus another that had been set by Word Starter 2010). I have been able to delete all but the one, which identifies itself as essential to MS WordStarter 2010. However, I'm unable to edit it...nor does it have the *.dot ending found in 2003. Close, but still no cigar.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I had a look at what you were calling "Word Starter 2010" as I had not come across that term' before ... seems it's a cut-down version of Office with reduced functionality.

Win 7 isn't a problem, unless you are also using the "starter" version.

... I can't help you with Office, stopped using it some time ago. Mr Google may be of some help. :)

Reaction score
What is the ending to that Normal file? You may want to go to Folder and Search Options on the view tab, make sure that Hidden Files and Folders are visible and that Hide Extensions for Known File Types is turned off.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Sorry to have taken so long to post back. Problem solved by uninstalling MS Office 10 which was just a freebie provided by the merchant who sold me the PC (for which I will never forgive him). With the PC came numerous backup devices, MS Office Starter (a tease to Office 10), malware software, etc. Fortunately, I've removed anything that with which I was unfamiliar. MS Word 2003 now allows me to save my preferences to Normal.dot
Should you hear of it again, Office 10 Starter is a stripped down intro to version 10 that assumes you'll want to buy it. I didn't.

Ask a Question