MS-DOS programs not running in XP Home

FlitchGlitch

Recent XP Home acquisition after upgrade from NT4 Sp6a to Win2K failed
with multiple fatal system errors and lots of blue. Final straw was
when the upgrade wrote IE5.(4 I think) over the IE6 I had downloaded
just the previous week. Don't they check for these things?

Anyway...

I have a large number of legacy (i.e. old) MS-DOS programs constructed
back in the eighties and early nineties which are absolutely
essential. A rewrite would cost around two man years and really big
bucks for the compiler so that's not an option.

But I did do some homework. I have a test program called
"MD11xxxx.EXE" (the "xxxx" will be explained in a moment) which is a
simple "Hello world" type program. In MS-DOS 5.2 the dialog would be
(user actions and explanations in square brackets):

C> [Presuming the MD11xxxx.EXE is on the root directory of C:]
C> [user enters] MD11xxxx
Sucess MD11 Started - Press Enter to Terminate [MD11xxxx displays on
console]
[user presses enter]
MD11 ended [MD11xxxx displays on console]

That's it! Very simple!

The "xxxx" is "PROT" or "REAL"; they're functionally identical and at
the source code level word-for-word identical. If it's MD11PROT the
program uses DPMI memory and can run in up to 16 meg of memory. If
it's MD11REAL it runs in real memory (below 640K). This has nothing to
do with any options chosen in the properties box; the programs are
compiled, link-edited, and then bound to a stub loader which
determines its memory use (this last step is the only difference). I
don't really understand this but I could pull out and quote from the
manual if it would help. The point is that while MD11REAL is only 38K
and MD11PROT is 92K (i.e. both should be able to run in a 256K (that's
K not M) machine) some of the other programs are much larger and must
run in protected mode only.

Under MS-DOS the programs ran as above using full screen. IIRC under
Win 3.1 they ran either in a DOS window or full screen depending on
your use of ALT-ENTER. Same in NT4. Both ran in a box or if you really
wanted to you could go to full screen. The norm was a box. Prior to
conversion to Win2K I had my son test them on his Win2K machines, both
a notebook and the desktop at work, and both the PROT and REAL
versions ran just as they did in NT4. Well, because of the disaster in
installing Win2K on my machine I didn't test on an XP machine and
bingo, they don't work! Well, REAL sort of works, but PROT doesn't
work at all.

For REAL, either double click on the file name, or enter it in the run
box, and the whole screen immediately goes black, and then after a
couple of heart-stopping moments, the correct dialog appears. I can
continue in full screen or use ALT-ENTER to go to a standard DOS box.
Either way an ENTER produces the appropriate "ended" message. It
doesn't seem to matter what folder I run it from and the Properties
Screen Usage button makes no difference either way. Nor does the
setting of the Run parameter on the Program screen-- it currently says
"minimized" but it doesn't matter what I change it to. Running in
compatibility mode for any of the four optional systems has absolutely
no effect either.

With PROT the settings in the properties screens have no effect at all
(same as for REAL) nor do the parameters I enter for memory (do it
intelligently or make them up at random -- I might as well save the
wear-and-tear on my fingers). The behavior is slightly different
though. It does open a DOS box but if you blink you'll miss it.
Without any user intervention, the box expands to cover the entire
screen and it becomes black (you actually see it rise up). Then
there's a couple of seconds delay and then the desktop reappears as
though nothing had happened. No wording, nothing.

As a matter of interest my other son runs Win 98 SE so I had him try
them out. It works (or actually doesn't) the same as XP with the
slight variance that in PROT mode, after the blanking (or black-ing)
of the screen it waits. If you do nothing I presume it would just
continue forever but if you hit enter as you would normally it returns
to a normal DOS box, the heading of which says "MD11PROT Finished" but
there's no text in the box itself.

My guess is that between NT/Win2K and the XP family they've changed
the way they handle the console which is what I'm writing to. How do I
get it back to the way it was under NT?

Just say the word and I'll post the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS from
MS-DOS or the Autoexec.NT and Config.NT from the NT era or the same
named files from the XP era and if you tell me how (screen shot
capture) I'll provide the Properties.

Oh, there are no TSR's nor direct hardware writes. These are serious
text manipulation and storage programs; no games, no sound, no
internet, no network...think accounting applications on a 360.

Tearing my hair out here...

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

When you update a system that is 6-7 years old with the latest O/S, you have to start from scratch. There is likely differences between the IE6 for NT4 (didn't even know they released it for NT4) and the IE6 for Windows XP. Therefore, the old program code is dumped. BTW, I would never attempt an "upgrade" from such an old operating system. I wasn't even aware it was a supported upgrade path. Just checked - XP Home IS NOT!

Previous Version Windows XP
Home Edition Windows XP
Professional
Windows 3.1 NO NO
Any Evaluation Version NO NO
Any Server Version* NO NO
Windows 95 NO NO
Windows 98/Windows 98 SE YES YES
Windows Me YES YES
Windows NT® Workstation 3.51 NO NO
Windows NT Workstation 4.0 NO YES
Windows 2000 Professional NO YES
Windows XP Home Edition YES
Windows XP Professional NO

Some DOS type programs just will not run under the Windows XP environment. Microsoft dropped a lot of legacy support for the purpose of stability. In my opinion, they have succeeded.

When I want to run a DOS program, I start up Virtual PC, boot up into my DOS 6.22 environment, and install/run the program from there. While it's running, I continue to use the PC for other tasks, such as e-mail etc.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> [...]

there's no text in the box itself.

My guess is that between NT/Win2K and the XP family they've changed
the way they handle the console which is what I'm writing to. How do I
get it back to the way it was under NT?

Just say the word and I'll post the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS from
MS-DOS or the Autoexec.NT and Config.NT from the NT era or the same
named files from the XP era and if you tell me how (screen shot
capture) I'll provide the Properties.

Oh, there are no TSR's nor direct hardware writes. These are serious
text manipulation and storage programs; no games, no sound, no
internet, no network...think accounting applications on a 360.

Tearing my hair out here...

FlitchGlitch

When you update a system that is 6-7 years old with the latest O/S, you have to start from scratch.

I'm not updating a system.
There is likely differences between the IE6 for NT4 (didn't even know they released it for NT4) and the IE6 for Windows XP.

And this has to do with the problem?...
Therefore, the old program code is dumped. BTW, I would never attempt an "upgrade" from such an old operating system.

No upgrade is desired.
I wasn't even aware it was a supported upgrade path. Just checked - XP Home IS NOT
Previous Version Windows XP
Home Edition Windows XP
Professional
Windows 3.1 NO NO
Any Evaluation Version NO NO
Any Server Version* NO NO
Windows 95 NO NO
Windows 98/Windows 98 SE YES YES
Windows Me YES YES
Windows NT® Workstation 3.51 NO NO
Windows NT Workstation 4.0 NO YES
Windows 2000 Professional NO YES
Windows XP Home Edition YES
Windows XP Professional NO

This applies if you're trying to upgrade the operating system. I'm
not. XP was installed from scratch.
Some DOS type programs just will not run under the Windows XP environment.

Fine, ones that manipulate hardware directly, ones that do peculiar
things, games etc. None of my programs fall into those categories.
Microsoft dropped a lot of legacy support for the purpose of stability. In my opinion, they have succeeded.
When I want to run a DOS program, I start up Virtual PC, boot up into my DOS 6.22 environment, and install/run the program from there.

What is "Virtual PC?

bxb7668

"Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)" <[email protected]>
wrote:
into my DOS 6.22 environment, and install/run the program from there.
What is "Virtual PC?
Virtual PC is a powerful software virtualization solution that allows
you to run multiple PC-based operating systems simultaneously on one
workstation, providing a safety net to maintain compatibility with
legacy applications while you migrate to a new operating system. It
also saves reconfiguration time, so your support, development, and
training staff can work more efficiently. Microsoft released Microsoft
Virtual PC 2004 on December 2, 2003.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

You said you tried to upgrade from NT4 to Win 2000 and failed. Then you say
you went to XP Home. I assumed that you also tried to "upgrade". You didn't
say otherwise!

VirtualPC 2004 is not supported on Home. But countless individuals "are"
using it on XP Home. Just can't get any help from Microsoft. But then, many
people come here for their help anyways. There is a very active VirtualPC
newsgroup where a lot of people talk about using it on XP Home.

BTW, Red Hat Shriek2 works fine on it., but is also NOT supported by
Microsoft.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

It's all in the punctuation <g>:

In the original post I said:

"Recent XP Home acquisition after upgrade from NT4 Sp6a to Win2K
failed with multiple fatal system errors and lots of blue. ..."

Meaning: I tried to upgrade my old machine (running NT4) to Win2K but
that upgrade failed (fatal system...) so I tossed that machine in the
direction of one of my kids and went out and bought myself a new
machine on which XP Home was pre-loaded.

(In case you have the impression that I rush out an buy a new machine
if there's a software glitch, the old machine was 466Mhz and 128M
memory and the Mboard supported only some old version of USB and the
video card had an intermittent problem with vertical bars and one CD
Rom drive was not supported in Win2K and barely worked in NT and the
CD Rom writer had a maximum speed of 8X... well, you get the idea. I
was due for a new machine anyway. I just made the mistake of getting
it loaded with XP Home said:
VirtualPC 2004 is not supported on Home. But countless individuals "are"
using it on XP Home. Just can't get any help from Microsoft. But then, many
people come here for their help anyways. There is a very active VirtualPC
newsgroup where a lot of people talk about using it on XP Home.

OK but even so it'll cost me $129. Unless anyone comes up with another
solution I'm thinking that I should do the work to put up Win2K
instead. No authentication BS either!

FlitchGlitch

OK guys, Bill is off the hook. I booted real 6.2 DOS from diskette on
the machine that runs XP normally and the two test programs mentioned
below have similar problems. MD11REAL runs but MD11PROT displays a
screen of various colors and a stepped "!" across and down its full
length. It then hangs the machine. Further investigation disclosed
that MD11 (either one) use direct memory mapping for the video which
means that anything can happen. However the compiler mfg realized this
might cause problems and included the option of linking in a module
which causes only BIOS calls to be made. I recompiled and link-edited
with the instructions not to use video memory mapping and SUCCESS! The
two programs run perfectly (under command prompt) just as they did
under NT4.

Unfortunately the solution only works for the simple test programs;
for the real processing I use a screen generator whose library is
included at linkedit time. That screen generator requires
memory-mapped video and so we're almost back to square one. The only
saving grace is that it lets me down gently with a run time error
indicating that I can't use BIOS memory calls. Yuk!

Now it becomes an investigation of the various video adaptors to see
where they load. I'm currently running an S3 Pro Savage and the Win 98
machine was also a S3 Savage adapter; the NT machine was running a
Matrox GE Force G400 MX and I'm awaiting information as to the machine
running Win2K.

So wherever the Matrox adapter loads itself doesn't cause a conflict
but of course this board is four years old and a little unreliable. I
need to find out where direct-mapped video (from my legacy programs)
loads and where any potential video adapter loads. Can I manipulate
these memory addresses (see Device Manager|Resources) and if so how?
Well... it's no longer a question for an OS group so I'll leave you in
peace.