MS Defender Beta 2 cant install

I am running XP home with MS anti spyware beta 1. When I downloaded MS
defender beta 2 it will not install at all. Error message "could not access
network location"
%userprofile%\my documents.
Have never had any problems installing Windows MS software or other software
in the past.
What is causing this problem?

Whatever you do, (installing and updateting or unistalling) always as a
adinistratºr.
This is the key!
The installation as an admin is not enough.
You needed to login as an adm!n.

Can you gº to Windows Update, select Express (Get high-priority updates),
and apply all offered updªtes
http://update.microsoft.com

Once that is finished, can you verify the update installs? There are many
pre-requisite files which are needed from windows update and signature update
with windows defender will fail until you hªve these f!les.

Install Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) is availªble here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

I'd recommend re-downloading, and saving to a known location--like the
desktop.
After the download is complete, disable real-time protection by your
antivirus for long enough to do the installation. please disable or turn off
as much other software that always runs as you can--real time antivirus
scanning, any other antispyware software, (Stop all programs that are open in
the bottom taskbar) etc.

I hope this post is helpful, let us know how it works ºut.
Еиçеl

Bill Sanderson MVP

I'd like to try to differentiate whether this is an issue uninstalling the
older version, or installing the new one.

Can you try uninstalling Microsoft Antispyware, via control panel, add or
remove programs, and see whether that is successful, or raises this error
message?

Dave M

Hi brian;

Did you ever remap your My documents folder? This post certainly sounds
similar to what your reporting:

From: AMK
Subject: Re: Update error 0x80070643
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 17:08:06 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.install

Dave M

Sorry, my NNTP newsreader is still a mess from a meltdown a few months ago,
you'll never find that post, let me quote it.

Sorry for the long delay but I just got back to this problem this week.
Thanks for your previous help about reinstalling .701 of Antispyware
Bill.That was successful. Watching the threads I picked up on My Documents
re-direction as I had moved my docs to a different local partition. Sure
enough, following Christoffer Soltau's hint, I got Defender working OK.
Initially it didn't seen to have had any effect, but after a reboot and
presumably the software calling back to base it downloaded updates and is
now
working OK (well for 24 hours anyhow!). Thanks all for your help.