Access MS Access front end on SQL Server

Reaction score
I have a MS Access (XP 2003) front end connecting through ODBC to SQL Server (2000). I have set up 2 users on SQL Server as Admin (full permissions) and User (public/dbdatareader/dbdatawriter).
The work station has 2 Windows XP logins set - Administrator (full domain permissions) or as a Limited Windows XP user.
ODBC DSN's are set up to log in to SQL Server at the Admin Level and another DSN to log in at the User level.
In both ODBC DSN's User verification is set to "With SQL Server authentification...Login and password entered by user".
Everything works fine in all login combinations e.g. Windows XP log in as Limited User - ODBC connection linking tables in MS Access at the basic SQL user level and I can read/write to SQL Server.

I have two networks.
The problem, when logged into Windows XP on this network (Limited user login) attempts to link tables using any ODBC DSN fail to see any tables on the SQL Server, even though the ODBC DSN was apparently set up successfully and tested as such..

The problem is, when I attempt to set this up on a second network copying the MS Access front end onto a work station and attempt to log in at the Limited user level MS Access reports that it is unable to connect. Alternatively, if I try to recreate the link the ODBC DSN is not showing as available.

I would appreciate any ideas on what I may be missing in terms of Windows permissions/MS Access and the ODBC DSN.
Alan

Ask a Question