Mr Dell 8200

Reaction score
hi all, welcome to your world of the hi tech,
If anyone can post me to the right location for a query: Ive got a Dell Dimension 8200, and am trying to install a new samsung 200gig hard drive, although my system only recognises around 130 gig, where can i get the other 70 gig from, any ideas.

many thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. :thumb:

:D

Go to Dell's website and ask them for your other 70gig ... it will be in their BIOS update for your PC, err, if you is lucky, that is. ;)

Reaction score
cheers muckshifter, i called Dell and even went to there website to get the latest Bios, i think its A09 which is the latest update, im currently on A03. Dell didn't really help, and they didn't really speak english, i was just wondering if i have to intall the next bios one at a time i.e. A04 first then A05, A06 and so on, or can i jump straight from A03 to A09, only problem i have is the dell web site says copy the Bios patch to floppy then restart the PC, ive tried that and does not seem to work. any ideas?

Many Thanks

muckshifter

Reaction score
If the BIOS update "fixes" the HD gig limitation then just get the latest ... all other 'fixes' will be in the latest BIOS

only problem i have is the dell web site says copy the Bios patch to floppy then restart the PC, ive tried that and does not seem to work. any ideas?
they should have distructions on how & what to do ..

Easy way out is to get XP to format the other 70gig and use it as a back-up drive. ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It may be this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q303013

This article describes the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can increase the capacity of your hard disk to more than the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

Failing that, can you try this:

START > RUN > "compmgmt.msc"

Then click storage, then "Disk Management" from the left hand of the window. On the right hand side, can you see if there is a solid block or a partly filled/multiple block for "Disk 0". This basically checks how your hard drive has been partitioned.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, and you can jump from any BIOS update to another - A0 to A9 for example. :)

Reaction score
hi there again gang, many thanks to Ian Cunningham that suggested that the computer manager was the place to go, it worked a treat,

Got another problem, my PC isnt recognising my external dvd rom drive, ive got all the housing and everything, but nothing seems to be recognised.

If i plug in my digital camera, that works and is recognised a treat.

Any ideas guys?

Many thanks

muckshifter

Reaction score
I take it you mean via USB?

... did you install SP2 for XP?

... does the external drive have it's own power supply?

;)

Reaction score
cheers muckshifter,

yeah its a usb 2.0, service pack 2 is installed and the drive does have its own power supply, the power works, the fan on the external drive works and the drive has power as the drive opens.

Im pretty sure its the connecting bit from the external housing to the PC.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers Muck Shifter.

muckshifter

Reaction score
ravgeeza said:
cheers muckshifter,

yeah its a usb 2.0, service pack 2 is installed and the drive does have its own power supply, the power works, the fan on the external drive works and the drive has power as the drive opens.

Im pretty sure its the connecting bit from the external housing to the PC.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers Muck Shifter.
Not much I can say ... if the camera works but the drive dont, it is one of two things ... the cable or the inards is naff.

:)

* muchshifter is one word, people do call me mucks though (it is my real name) *

Ask a Question