Word Movin'Up... Word 2000 > Word 2016

Reaction score
A couple years ago I bought Word 2016 and installed it. When the ribbon appeared, I was immediately lost. It took forever to find what used to be in Word 2000's menus.

Is there something that would help me make the jump from a menu-based Word to the newer ribbon-based Word?

Thank you,
Skeezix

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It took a while for me to get used to the new ribbon layout, but for the most part, I prefer it. However, when there's a particular setting I'm trying to find, it's not always as easy to locate. Unfortunately, as Evan mentioned, practice is probably the only way to get used to it.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Practise, practise and more practise.

Yep, afraid so. I didn't like the ribbon at first but now that I'm familiar with it I find it a lot easier to work with. I did prefer the old menu layout overall, but the ribbon is certainly good for quick access.

It's also worth bearing in mind that keyboard shortcuts still work, although some are different. If you press that ALT key in Word you'll see numbers and letters pop up at the top, and you can use those to navigate to the things you want.

Reaction score
Thank you all. I saved the link that Muckshifter provided and will read it.

Was sorry to hear the "practice, practice" answer. I've been "practicing" Word since version 1 came out in 1991...

Ask a Question