Move Icons <---> No Task Bar

JohnR

I cannot move the icons on the desktop. Align to grid & Auto arrange are not checked! Also the task bar cannot be re-sized, although a minute portion of it can be seen at the bottom of the screen. The Start button cannot be seen either.
Any help???
John

R. C. White

Hi, John.

Are you using the proper drivers for your graphics card? Is everything OK
in Display Properties? Is your monitor pretty standard, or is it something
exotic?

If you post the make and model of your display adapter (or of your computer
if its built-in), someone here might recognize it and have some ideas.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"JohnR" <onejm at comcast.net> wrote in message
I cannot move the icons on the desktop. Align to grid & Auto arrange are
not checked! Also the task bar cannot be re-sized, although a minute
portion of it can be seen at the bottom of the screen. The Start button
cannot be seen either.
Any help???
John

JohnR

Now that you mention it, I just installed a new graphics card. The NVidia FX 5200. System is really trashed now. I'm re-installing windows, I had completely lost the copy & paste function too. I've got a 3 week old back up from "Acronis", so ill see what happens. Ill also look for the latest drivers. Incidentally, I got messages saying "cant use Install shield, ikernel has bad data" or words to that effect.
Thanks
John

[...]

OK, John.

Thanks for letting us know the status. Good luck on your reinstall.

You probably got a CD with drivers with the graphics card, but who knows how
many weeks/months old those drivers are already. And with the "arms race"
between ATI and nVidia these days, new drivers appear almost daily, it
seems. My ATI AIW 9000 is not the newest card on the block, but still I
find new drivers just about every time I visit the ATI website. Which is
both good news (getting the latest and greatest) and bad news (installing
each upgrade is a hassle - and by tomorrow I'm out of date again).

RC
--
[...]

Vanguard

"JohnR" <onejm at comcast.net> wrote in message
I cannot move the icons on the desktop. Align to grid & Auto arrange
are not checked! Also the task bar cannot be re-sized, although a
minute portion of it can be seen at the bottom of the screen. The Start
button cannot be seen either.
Any help???
John

Right-click on the part of the taskbar that you can see and select to
DISABLE the "Lock the Taskbar" option. Then you can change it from
auto-hiding or increase its size.

"I cannot move the icons on the desktop". Okay, what does that mean?
That the icons won't move at all when you attempt to drag them? That
they move but then snap back to where they were before? Or you can drag
them but they snap to some other position then where you intended to
drop them?